Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are some good vendors for sheet metal?

Doing a web search turns up a lot of places, but the descriptions and pictures usually aren't that good, and they're usually the same recycled images. My personal favorites are the screen shots from a CAD drawing. :rolleyes:

I don't need much, the driver side foot well needs to be replaced, and I need to replace the rockers right at the Jeep logo in front of the doors. The rest that needs to be done is small enough that I can use some 18 gauge sheet metal off the shelf and fit as needed.

The floor panel seems to be pretty easy to find, so the big question is where can I get "Jeep" embossed panels without buying the whole side of the tub? I don't need that much sheet metal.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
Quadratec has the part you want but it doesn't have the logo embossed. But, for $25.00 for the panel, why don't you simply put the "JEEP" decal where the embossment usually is. Most people will never notice the difference. Their floor panels are cheap enough that you will be hard pressed to make one by hand for less money. Good Luck

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of figured it'd be something like that in the end.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect. Thanks Iowegian.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

I finally ordered a replacement panel from Classic Enterprises and I wanted to give my 2 cents on it. First off, the Jeep logo printed on it is slightly different from what you will typically see on a YJ. The e's in Jeep are more detailed. Where our YJs have just a round punch and a sticker, the full detail of the e is present in these replacement panels. Kind of a nice change I guess, but mostly unnoticeable.

That's all I have for good, here's the bad: The Jeep logo sits 1/2 to 3/4" lower than it should be. It's not a major detail, but if you want a factory look to your restoration, you are going to be short on two point.

The really bad: the panel is too short. I ordered the "full length" cowl/rocker panel. It is supposed to cover from the front of the tub to the end of the rocker at the rear wheel well and bottom edge to the seam on the tub. From the door jam to the front cowl, you are going to be short. Mind you, they also give you the front flange of the panel. In addition, the bottom edge does not match the bend on the factory metal. Instead of a 45 degree bend inward, it's a 90. Trying to match it to the seam may require some reworking. Finally, there is no relief for the door. they give you about 5/8" past the door line, but the jam/frame is not in the panel.

I ended up cutting what they sent me down to what I absolutely needed to replace. I would have been much nicer to just make two straight cuts/welds to replace the front quarter, instead my work for fitting and welding has tripled. :censored:

I'm not even going to get into the front fender panel. If you need front fenders, just order the complete replacement assembly from Quadratec. I really should have taken pictures of this mess, but I didn't. I have some other pictures of the fabrication process that will go up later on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
sorry to revive a crusty dead thread but i was about to order these repair panels from Classic Enterprises. They are not cheap at 155.00 anybody else have a similar problem with them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts