Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What speaker would you replace blown factory dash speakers with? Easy on the pocket? No fabing required? 2001 wrangler.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do you think i should stay with the 6x4 or do the adapter and go with a 4inch?
I've heard the adapter is worth it. I don't know that first hand but I do know that round speakers tend to sound better in general. Also, there are many more speakers to choose from if you go 4 inch.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Nalin makes an adapter for a 5.25" Just installed Polk Audio D8521 speakers on the Nalin adapters in mine....pretty easy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I highly doubt amazon is cheaper as all of the wiring was included for free and they offer free 1'day shipping to Virginia. I also used the nalin bracket to fit the 5.25 in speakers. Best 16 bucks you can spend

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I highly doubt amazon is cheaper as all of the wiring was included for free and they offer free 1'day shipping to Virginia. I also used the nalin bracket to fit the 5.25 in speakers. Best 16 bucks you can spend
Right now for a pair of Polk Audio DB581 speakers, Amazon is $63.81 with free shipping, and Crutchfield is $99.99 with free shipping. Just bought mine from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. I didn't need wiring, but if I did, I could buy quite a bit of it for $36.:thumb:

·
Registered
337 Posts
What wiring do you need to swap speakers? Maybe if you are doing a head unit but even then the adapters are cheaper. Crutchfield is good to compare but their prices are no better than local places and their staff is not as knowledgeable as they used to be.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I brought 4x6 Infinity Kappa's and they blew out in a few months(55 RMS). I then went with 5.25 CDT's, made in California, and rated at 110 watts RMS. The CDT's sound much better than the 4x6. The 4x6 is just too small. Don't use the 4x6's, or anything smaller, or you will have to upgrade the speakers again, if you plan to add a subwoofer. I have 4-5.25 CDT's, 2-10" molded MTX subwoofers, and a 2500 watt Power Acoustik 5-Channel Gothic amp. The sound of these CDT's are miles above the 4x6 and 5.25 Infinity's. My amp packs 500 watts to the sub, and 100 watts to each speaker. I have yet been able to stand the volume past 24, and it goes to 39. The sub kicks in at 8.

Amp-$175, CDT speakers $100 a pair. molded sub box $350, but the sub box really cranks.
I added a Clarion EQ 1/2 din below my single din head unit. The total THD is about 0.2% with the head unit and amp. HEad unit is a Performance Teknique, 7' flip out DVD, with GPS,bluetooth,USB/SD card interface,AUXin, and removable face plate for $289.

This is how I mod my Jeep.

I'll put up pictures later.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
neither - Nalin adaptor and a 5.25" speaker
Yes, I agree, and I tried it both ways. 5.25 sound way better than the 4x6.
They can handle more wattage too. You will definitely have more balanced sound if you go with matching 5.25's, than 4x6 and 5.25. First you have the problem of two different brands, and then the different speaker size. So, either you balance it all around with matching speakers and size, or you have unbalanced sound. It's awesome when you match the size and brand like I did. You really fill the car, instead of driving front speakers or back speakers. Then when a instrument is guided to one side, you really hear perfect studio acoustics. I went here for my 5.25 CDT's which have the same price as the Inifinity Kappa 4x6. Everyone says the Kappa's are great but, the CDT's are way better. The Kappa's tend to whine in the high's and you really don't notice how bad it is until you place CDT's in their place.

CDT Audio 5-1/4" Speakers - CDT Audio 5-1/4" Speakers

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Remember too, it is RMS that you are after and not max wattage. Polks are 135 max, but only 45 watts RMS. The Infinity's are 55 RMS, and CDT's are 110 watts RMS. The CDT's have a newer model with the 110 watt RMS than the older model for the same money. The CDT's are made in California where they know that we like our tops off and our music loud.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts