Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have read about the new steering dampener that has been offerd as part of the steering issue recall, and I am wondering why this dampener comes with install instructions that specify the orientation of the install.

There are many steering dampeners that can be installed this way or that way, and operate as intended, with no concern for orientation.

I asked elsewhere about this question, but realized I may be hi-jacking a thread, so I figured I would start a thread dedicated to the subject.

I can imagine possible circumstances that would require a specific install orientation, but I can not imagine those issues existing in this day and age. So, I am wondering what the specifics are regarding the construction details of this dampener. Why would a modern steering dampener require such precautions?

Does anyone have the inside scoop?

Thank you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The following was posted elsewhere:

billarf
“From what I understand, it has to do with fluid movement. fluid flow within the dampener. IF flow is not proper, damage occurs to the inners of the dampener.
Also... for the dampeners shaft to self lubricate and the dampeners seals to be lubricated, the dampener has to be positioned properly.
Proper install of the dampener in question dictates "intake bulge" be in the downward position.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That describes a generic concern that every fluid dampener shares.

I would like to learn what makes this one so special.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
That describes a generic concern that every fluid dampener shares.

I would like to learn what makes this one so special.

Thank you.
It's the sticker.

It knows if it's pointing the right way or not. They call it "Smart Sticker"

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying to learn what is so special about this dampener, mainly because I like to learn, and it is also sort of interesting to see what kind of fun filled facts bubble up on the inter web.

Here are some ideas to consider...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Listen to Kevin, the bulge is an area where oil obviously goes and probably goes there due to gravity and that's why it has to be in the down position.

We would have to see the internals of the dampener to tell what exactly is going on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts