Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i change the steering wheel on my tj ,, ? i have tried the online help at an online store and they said a replacement wheel isnt available for a tj ,, i cant find a replacement wheel listed anywhere , i would like an old school cj wheel if possible

im sure it must be able to be done , any help appreciated ,,,

thanks ....:thumb:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
You can get a new TJ wheel at Jeepsareus. Changed mine not to long ago.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You can't change to CJ style, they did not have airbags.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
Will your insurance company medical coverage cover your upper body trauma if an oncoming vehicle crosses over and does a head-on into you? Afterall, they based the insurance rates you pay on your Jeep having the air bag in the steering wheel that the factory installed. Removing the air bag dramatically increases the odds of severe upper body injury that their actuarial data tables are based on that they calculate the insurance rates on.

Personally, I would not get rid of my steering wheel & its air bag solely for style reasons. You'd hate yourself for that decision if/when you get into a major frontal impact, on or off-road, and you were severely injured due to the lack of an air bag. I do a lot of mods on my TJ but I sure wouldn't remove the seatbelts or air bags for style reasons.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
How does a broken rear yoke cause the air bags to deploy? Sounds like the broken rear yoke caused that by indirect means. ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
How does a broken rear yoke cause the air bags to deploy? Sounds like the broken rear yoke caused that by indirect means. ;)
Lol,ok ya got me! My right foot caused it! It also blew out the rear hardtop window, and the passenger bag ripped the screen off my laptop. Bad day!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
Yep I hate the looks of my OE steering wheel, and I have replaced steering wheels before like on my old '57 Chevy well before there were air bags. But today, with the major benefits of having an an airbag, I sure as hell wouldn't remove an airbag-equipped steering wheel to install an aftermarket steering wheel simply because it was cooler looking.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
One of the first things I used to do to my Blazers and Chevy trucks was to install an aftermarket steering wheel. Never did on my main CJ5 because I maintained the Ross cam and lever steering and wanted to keep the "bus" wheel. Now, with SIR's, I just leave 'em alone.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I wonder if you could make the case to the insurance company of having the risks offset with harness belts on the street.

A fact is that in fact airbags are only useful for some people. They're targeted for a specific height range and if you're too short they hit you in the face and can danger your neck and if you're too tall they hit the chest causing whip lash.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I wonder if you could make the case to the insurance company of having the risks offset with harness belts on the street.

i doubt they will take that into consideration. insurance companies follow guidelines/protocol.

i changed the steering wheel in my YJ. i like the smaller sized steering wheels. but i wouldn't change it on my TJ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed this set-up in mine after my airbags deployed because of a broken rear yoke. Took about two hours. You may want to check your state laws before removing the airbags if you have inspections.
do you still have the part number to the installation kit you used for the steering wheel? I can’t seem to find it anywhere

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
80,195 Posts
do you still have the part number to the installation kit you used for the steering wheel? I can’t seem to find it anywhere
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
That is a 2016 Thread..FYI

1 - 18 of 18 Posts