Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with stock Infinity system (usb port in center console, subwoofer back passenger side, hands free calling kit- microphone mounted driver side up top near visor)

My stereo works sometimes. It seems it is just bad electronics or something because sometimes I can control volume, other times volume knob does nothing, and a bunch of other problems with it. Anyone ever hear of this before? I assume it just needs to be replaced?

Which brings me to next question...I got a Crutchfield gift cert for christmas. Called them, I was told that the stock radio is not quite a "double din" and Crutchfield and other aftermarlet are either single din or double din.

Anyone have experience with replacing? I want the double din as it looks more like the stock, rather than get the single with a stupid filler piece. Some mods are required according to Crutchfield. Any advice is very welcome. I haven't replaced a stereo since my teens! I want the features to all still work (usb in console, mic for phone etc).

THANK YOU!!!

-Bill

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,921 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Get a Double Din of your liking..very easy install esp if getting all items needed from Crutchfield. They will do the harness to be plug and play if you ask them and also supply trim kit for dash. Should take less than 2 hours with min.tools. Good Luck

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
973 Posts
Very satisfied with a new Kenwood DMX7706S I just installed. Used thei Datalink Maestro RR Interface Module and iDatalink HRN-RR-CH1 Factory Integration Adapter and all my steering wheel controls work. Also bought the ready made harness from Crutchfield which made the install pretty easy and not a big time consuming project.

The Maestro unit must be flashed via the net for your particular vehicle. Pretty easy except Maestro software can no longer be flashed with the new Apple OS Catalina because Apple switched to 64 bit! Even Crutchfield didn't know that until I called to inform them. Fortunately I had another spare PC running Windows 10 so was able flash the Maestro unit for my vehicle. Everything works and now have a backup camera, Car play etc. Very happy with the over all change to after market unit. Total cost was around 550 and I believe Crutchfield had dropped the price on my unit. Grrrrrrrrrrr

FWIW I used the install kit from Crutchfield and the unit fit almost perfect.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Very satisfied with a new Kenwood DMX7706S I just installed. Used thei Datalink Maestro RR Interface Module and iDatalink HRN-RR-CH1 Factory Integration Adapter and all my steering wheel controls work. Also bought the ready made harness from Crutchfield which made the install pretty easy and not a big time consuming project.

This looks like a great HU. Did you also get the XM tuner?

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
973 Posts
This looks like a great HU. Did you also get the XM tuner?
No I didn't because I'm primarily a itunes junkie for 90% of my driving. I should add the FM/AM works extremely well and very impressed with it. So far for the money I'm very happy with that head unit.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

The Maestro unit must be flashed via the net for your particular vehicle. Pretty easy except Maestro software can no longer be flashed with the new Apple OS Catalina because Apple switched to 64 bit! Even Crutchfield didn't know that until I called to inform them. Fortunately I had another spare PC running Windows 10 so was able flash the Maestro unit for my vehicle. Everything works and now have a backup camera, Car play etc. Very happy with the over all change to after market unit. Total cost was around 550 and I believe Crutchfield had dropped the price on my unit. Grrrrrrrrrrr

I put this exact unit in my Jeep this week. I didn't get it from Crutchfield so I had to do all of the connections myself. It wasn't terribly difficult, but I would rather have not had to do it.

I picked up an XM tuner as well, but without the antennae. I picked up a Maestro adapter for the stock Sirius antennae. I'm still debating whether I will keep XM after it expires in June. I stream via Carplay much more, but XM is nice when I am in the mountains or Moab and there is no radio or cell coverage.

The double DIN install was very easy (especially with this Kenwwod because it is a shallow depth). It just needed a little bit of trimming that I did with a pocket knife.

Also, the new head unit is a huge improvement over the stock stereo even with the stock speakers. I switched my speakers to Infinity 6.5" the next day, but the stock speakers still sounded much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the Kenwood unit for a couple months now and love everything but the USB connection. I have the XM tuner also, although I believe will not renew my subscription due to me using Pandora more and more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I put this exact unit in my Jeep this week. I didn't get it from Crutchfield so I had to do all of the connections myself. It wasn't terribly difficult, but I would rather have not had to do it.

I picked up an XM tuner as well, but without the antennae. I picked up a Maestro adapter for the stock Sirius antennae. I'm still debating whether I will keep XM after it expires in June. I stream via Carplay much more, but XM is nice when I am in the mountains or Moab and there is no radio or cell coverage.
So, with the aftermarket hu and aftermarket xm radio tuner you can use the factory installed xm antenna? (Plug n play)

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
So, with the aftermarket hu and aftermarket xm radio tuner you can use the factory installed xm antenna? (Plug n play)
Yes, but you may need an adapter cable, I forget. I ordered this stuff from Crutchfield and somehow they pointed me to the parts. Or maybe the adapter was for the AM/FM antenna, I don’t seem to recall. If you can’t find the part numbers let me know when I can look up my order.

Reactions: Anomaly

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

I used these two (tuner/adapter) with factory antenna:

SiriusXM SXV300 Standalone Vehicle Tuner (Replacement-Antenna not included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0199XNUKU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ShycEbTRPYBZP

Maestro HRN-ANT-SAT1 FAKRA to Aftermarket SMB Satellite Radio Antenna Adaptor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012FARZ3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_njycEbKFN4TBS

·
Registered
136 Posts
Get a Double Din of your liking..very easy install esp if getting all items needed from Crutchfield. They will do the harness to be plug and play if you ask them and also supply trim kit for dash. Should take less than 2 hours with min.tools. Good Luck
Completely agree. I just went with the Alpine iLX-W650 (a double din) and selected the ready harness service from Crutchfield for my setup. I also have the premium sound setup (the newer Alpine version) and everything went incredibly smooth, especially considering I have never installed a stereo of any kind.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the info, everyone!

Op: sorry for the slight threadjack!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I put in a kenwood DNX994S I bought from Crutchfield. I wanted to retain stand-alone GPS nav, even though I gain Apple Car Play.

I never used XM beyond the initial trial, so I left that out.

Replaces the cig lighter socket with a double-USB socket connected to the unit.

Install went a lot easier than I expected. I did a write-up in the Comms/Electronics forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts