Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relevant info for thread: '93 YJ, 2.5L, 32" tires, 2.5" suspension

I've been thinking about a tranny swap since I got the Jeep last February and been solely focused on upgrading to the AX-15. Well, I was sittin on the throne today and read an article in the April 2010 edition of Jp Magazine. It suggested using a SM420 bellhousing. Since I wanna try to junkyard most of this tranny swap and not buy the AX-15 bellhousing from Advance Adapters I was thinking about going the SM420 route. There are a slew of Chevy's in junkyards and this bellhousing might be a little easier to come across. My question is, has anyone gone this route - upgrading the AX-5 to the SM420, 60-degree, V6 bellhousing? If so, how well did it work? I wheel pretty much every weekend with my brother's club and drive it everyday to school.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The SM420 is a good choice, and something ya' don't see to often. The only thing that might suck about it is driving it on the street with the 4 cylinder. If you like rocks, the sm420 is a monster. First gear ratio is 7.05:1 vs whatever the AX5 is, like 3.9 somethin' to 1.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts