Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a turn signal/brake light out on my rear passenger tail light. The bulb is #3157, so I picked up from local auto parts store. I took out the 4 screws, replaced the bulb, but it still won't work? Light won't work and I'm still getting the fast turn signal. The pack of bulbs actually contained two, but neither will work? What am I missing here? Is there something else that needs to be done other than just simply replacing the old/bad bulb with a new one??

Maybe it's time to grab those LED tail lights I've been looking at.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check your ground. Did you put the bulb in and then put all 4 screws back in and tighten them up? I don't know if your tail light grounds by the mounting screws, so it's just a guess. If this doesn't work, take the tail light out and unplug the wiring harness at the back of the tail light. Use a test light and see if you have power at the plug.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Maybe the problem occurred with the last line of #1. I don't know.

Rear Tail, Stop, Turn Signal, and Backup Lamp
1. Remove the two inboard screws attaching the tail light
housing to the body. DO NOT REMOVE THE OUTER
SCREWS AT ANY TIME.
2. Separate the housing from the body by pushing the
lamp inboard while pulling the lamp away from the
body.
3. Rotate the appropriate socket 1/4 turn counterclockwise,
then remove it from the housing.
4. Pull the bulb straight from the socket to replace.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Maybe the problem occurred with the last line of #1. I don't know.

Rear Tail, Stop, Turn Signal, and Backup Lamp
1. Remove the two inboard screws attaching the tail light
housing to the body. DO NOT REMOVE THE OUTER
SCREWS AT ANY TIME.
2. Separate the housing from the body by pushing the
lamp inboard while pulling the lamp away from the
body.
3. Rotate the appropriate socket 1/4 turn counterclockwise,
then remove it from the housing.
4. Pull the bulb straight from the socket to replace.
x-2 .... the socket is not grounded to the housing but with a ground wire in the harness....check the bulbs you bought in the other light. If good then your problem is in the wiring or socket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread and not to sure if this will even be helpful but isn’t the bulb you’re replacing supposed to be a #1157 instead of the #3157? I know it’s just a matter of wattage being the only difference in between the two but mine was doing the hyper flash as well with the 3157 in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts