Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am replacing the CAT and back exhaust items in my 1995 Jeep Wrangler. These are all factory and are rusted out pretty bad at this point (failed Cali SMOG test).

There is a hanger, connected to 2 rubber mounts (see picture) however I am not sure how to remove the caps to teh bolts that hold the rubber mounts in place. Anyone know? I was just thinking about cutting them off and hope my local 4X4 shop has some replacements, figured I look to see if anyone in here knows.

Thanks for the help!:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I just cut them off and bought a pair at Autozone for $3 each. Now, the bugger problem. My CAT is simply FROZEN onto the down pipe, I have tried prying that thing off and it will not budge. I can cut it off, which means I am just going to have to replace the down pipe as well (~$100), so I'm looking and maybe I am just going to replace the header and the down pipe as well, might as well do the whole thing I guess.

Looking at a few, anyone install the Borla 17034 Header? It comes with the down pipe as well.

Any other suggestions on how I may be able to get the CAR unfrozen to use the OE down pipe?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only purchased the CARB CAT (Magnaflow 39221 $180) and Borla Exhaust (Borla 14364 Cat-Back System Exhaust $260) as of right now, thinking I could just remove existing and replace from the down pipe back.

The Borla 17034 Header is $400 on Amazon, about the lowest I have seen. It is "Bolt-On" according to the details and it comes with the down pipe as well, becuase I'll most likely need to cut that to to get the existing CAT off.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any suggestions out there? I could cut the costs by getting just the down pipe and cut off the existing one for $100. Just don't know if it is worth the upgrade to get headers. Anyone out there made the move to put on performance headers?

·
Registered
787 Posts
is the down pipe flanged to match a flange on the new cat or is yours sleeved where one fits into the end of the other?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jfbilbro said:
is the down pipe flanged to match a flange on the new cat or is yours sleeved where one fits into the end of the other?
Actually both the OEM down pipe and the CAT are flanged, were the down pipe fits into the CAT.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Muffler clamps work well. BTW, to remove the rubber muffler hangers, lube them really good with WD-40 (obviously you want to do this when everything is cool) then get to pulling. Typically they will slip right off after a big of elbow grease.

Also, might want to check with 2XS, he's a Cali smog tech around here. I've heard rumors that the Borla headers won't pass emissions.

Even so, your performance gains will be insignificant. It takes an accumulation of components to increase 2.5L power output.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Xpress said:
Muffler clamps work well. BTW, to remove the rubber muffler hangers, lube them really good with WD-40 (obviously you want to do this when everything is cool) then get to pulling. Typically they will slip right off after a big of elbow grease.

Also, might want to check with 2XS, he's a Cali smog tech around here. I've heard rumors that the Borla headers won't pass emissions.

Even so, your performance gains will be insignificant. It takes an accumulation of components to increase 2.5L power output.
You saying to cut the pipe, get a connector and clamp that together? I was thinking about that as well, not sure how to pull that off though. I might have to cut a piece off and take it to the shop to see if they can match up a part that I can use/ cut to fit.

As for the additional increase in power, I have the 4.0 I6 engine, so I think I would see nominal gains. I was hoping somebody else already went down this road.

I'll check in with 2XS on the Cali deal, thanks for the contact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts