Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on replacing the catalytic converters on my 2007 JKU (3.8L). They have 141k on them and are starting to throw P0420 codes. After a lot of diagnosing, it's definite the cats.

MOPAR is around 700. Magnaflow is a bit more -- 800. Eastern is the cheapest in the mid 400s.

Anyone try Eastern or another of the cheaper options? Was at a straight forward install?

Would you recommend the Magnaflow over MOPAR?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Looking for opinions on replacing the catalytic converters on my 2007 JKU (3.8L). They have 141k on them and are starting to throw P0420 codes. After a lot of diagnosing, it's definite the cats.

MOPAR is around 700. Magnaflow is a bit more -- 800. Eastern is the cheapest in the mid 400s.

Anyone try Eastern or another of the cheaper options? Was at a straight forward install?

Would you recommend the Magnaflow over MOPAR?

Thanks in advance!
I know you are in Florida, but I would only get a replacement that was legal everywhere. That might leave you with the choice of only OEM "mopar" Also, make sure you keep the old cats and take them to a scrap metal place. You will likely get back $100 +for them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you are in Florida, but I would only get a replacement that was legal everywhere. That might leave you with the choice of only OEM "mopar" Also, make sure you keep the old cats and take them to a scrap metal place. You will likely get back $100 +for them.
The MOPAR is actually 900 and they give you 200 back (core) when you send the old one back.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The MOPAR is actually 900 and they give you 200 back (core) when you send the old one back.
I checked it on BAM wholesale and it was $720, yes there is a $200 core charge. Whatever you do don't just toss them...:) The oem will probably last the longest, there is a seven year warranty on emission parts. Not sure if that applies to aftermarket. I had good luck with another vehicle using walker. But I was not keeping that vehicle for more than a few years and it was the cafe part for ny/calif. Make sure you change the oxygen sensors too and tune it up. You don't want a miss or an extreme oil burning situation screwing up the new cats. Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks deepbluerubi! Appreciate it.

As I mentioned I have 141k on it. Thinking that I have 5 years left max. Everything else is in fantastic shape but I don't think I will get much more than 200k out of this engine.

Looking for any tips on replacing cats. Is it an easy / do it yourself job? For context, I've replaced the headers, brakes, shocks, oil gasket (upper pan), all the fluids -- these are all straight forward jobs with no special tools req.

Maybe I missed it but haven't seen any threads here showing details on replacing cats. Mostly everyone has been lucky enough to still be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thanks deepbluerubi! Appreciate it.

As I mentioned I have 141k on it. Thinking that I have 5 years left max. Everything else is in fantastic shape but I don't think I will get much more than 200k out of this engine.

Looking for any tips on replacing cats. Is it an easy / do it yourself job? For context, I've replaced the headers, brakes, shocks, oil gasket (upper pan), all the fluids -- these are all straight forward jobs with no special tools req.

Maybe I missed it but haven't seen any threads here showing details on replacing cats. Mostly everyone has been lucky enough to still be covered under warranty.
I wouldn't exactly call it easy, but if you have done headers than I am sure you can do cats with no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts