Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first jeep ,a 97 sahara with 4.0 . Problem is the PO installed an unknown lift and it handles like a boat in ruff seas .The shocks are gray and only markings I can find on them is "made in Mexico " Rear springs are gray and measure 11.5 in Front springs measure 16 in .My question is do you think I can get away with replacing the shocks with Bilsteins and leaving the coils ? Another option I am considering is getting a zone 3in lift kit and replacing all the existing , but I'm really wanting the Bilstein shocks . also it does have the skid lowered and I'm not experiencing any vibes but it is definitely a handful . thanks for any opinions .

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Sounds like you have a 4" suspension lift. If i were you, i would keep the coils for now, and install a good set of shocks. You can just start upgrading lift parts piece by piece. control arms, track bar, sye, etc.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Yeah, I would replace the shocks and make sure the front end alignment is within specs. Also make sure it does not have a drop pitman arm on it....install a stock one.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I got my first jeep ,a 97 sahara with 4.0 . Problem is the PO installed an unknown lift and it handles like a boat in ruff seas .The shocks are gray and only markings I can find on them is "made in Mexico " Rear springs are gray and measure 11.5 in Front springs measure 16 in .My question is do you think I can get away with replacing the shocks with Bilsteins and leaving the coils ? Another option I am considering is getting a zone 3in lift kit and replacing all the existing , but I'm really wanting the Bilstein shocks . also it does have the skid lowered and I'm not experiencing any vibes but it is definitely a handful . thanks for any opinions .
Sounds like a RC kit

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I'm not Dextreme, but using a drop pitman arm without a corresponding drop in the frame end of the track bar leads to bump steer because of the screwed up steering geometry it produces. Correct steering geometry is to have an imaginary straight line drawn between the two ends of the drag link parallel with an imaginary line drawn between the two ends of the track bar...see pics

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts