Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the freeze plugs in my 01 sahara.. as i understand, one of them is located behind the bell housing, so trying to remove the transmission to get to it. The top two bolts in the bell housing have been a MOTHER to remove. I've bought bolt outs to get to them, tried the E14 inverted torx, tried the 3 ft wobble extension, impact wrench, cheater bar on a ratchet, etc.. now currently removing the cover inside the jeep to try to get better access.. any ideas on how to get these things out? they are pretty well rounded off, and all i have is a stick welder, so getting in there to weld anything onto it is pretty much out of the question. If anyone has ANY ideas, I would really appreciate it. I'm getting ready to burn this sucker to the ground!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update--

Top left bell housing torx bolt has been dremeled off... that felt great! Top right torx (passenger side) I used an E12 inverted torx socket (had to pound it on) four feet of extension, a 30 inch cheater bar, & a big a$$ ratchet. After minimal brute strength and ignorance, I heard the most beautiful sound I've heard in my shop for awhile. The loud pop of a PITA bolt broke loose. I busted my hand open too, but it was soooo worth it. I don't think the E12 was the right size, I think it needed to be the E14, however, it was so rounded off from the other stuff I'd been trying that i was able to pound the E12 on it. The bolt outs weren't even working on these suckers. Good luck to anyone else that encounters these bolts... I suggest really doing your research & investing in the $10 set of sockets to remove the inverted torxs.. also be really careful to seat them on the bolt just right, or risk rounding them off & going through enormous amounts of headache...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts