Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 wrangler tj.....going to replace the front and rear diff fluid with some kind of synthetic. Now I read in the manual that if you have a traction loc you need to add an additive, is this really necessary? And how do you figure out if you have the traction loc? And I was also planning on replacing the trans fluid for the 5 spd, I have a 4.0 v6 anyone know how many quarts it takes?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yes on the friction modifier, check out the TJ FAQ at jeepforum, it'll have all the information you desire

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Pretty sure any limited slip kind of diff requires it. My standard D44 doesn't. I wouldn't risk exploding yours to skimp on a few dollars. Also there's a huge debate on dino vs synthetic but I run dino front synthetic rear with no obvious differences between the 2

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Can't tell you about that one. I know my last dino I put in the front supported both ls and non ls

·
Banned
139 Posts
Mobil One synthetic gear lube for the differentials includes the limited slip additive already in the lube. Look for either 75w90LS or 75w140LS (for towing) at any parts retailer. (LS = limited slip.)

As for the AX-15 5-sp., DC now specs 10w30 motor oil. I use 10w30 Mobil One Synthetic in my NSG-370 6-sp. and it works better than any other lube I've ever tried; quiet, buttery-smooth shifts and no 2nd-gear grind when cold. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mobil One synthetic gear lube for the differentials includes the limited slip additive already in the lube. Look for either 75w90LS or 75w140LS (for towing) at any parts retailer. (LS = limited slip.)

As for the AX-15 5-sp., DC now specs 10w30 motor oil. I use 10w30 Mobil One Synthetic in my NSG-370 6-sp. and it works better than any other lube I've ever tried; quiet, buttery-smooth shifts and no 2nd-gear grind when cold. Highly recommended.
Ahhh ok that takes the guess work out of getting a friction modifier. I will look for that one.

As far as the trans.....i know the manual trans it said 75w90. I can give the 10w30 , diff you use the stuff for engine oil?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
02WranglerTJ said:
Ahhh ok that takes the guess work out of getting a friction modifier. I will look for that one.

As far as the trans.....i know the manual trans it said 75w90. I can give the 10w30 , diff you use the stuff for engine oil?
Yes they're measured on different scales I believe.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have an 02 wrangler tj.....going to replace the front and rear diff fluid with some kind of synthetic. Now I read in the manual that if you have a traction loc you need to add an additive, is this really necessary? And how do you figure out if you have the traction loc? And I was also planning on replacing the trans fluid for the 5 spd, I have a 4.0 v6 anyone know how many quarts it takes?
Take your VIN to any dealer, they can tell you if you have trac loc. Chances are you don't. If you add the friction modifier to an open diff (non trac-loc) it won't hurt a thing.

I heard that synthetic runs warmer than dino.
This is true, non synthetic runs cooler than synthetic in differentials.

The '02 has the NV3550 transmission, not the AX15, which was used up until 1999. The best lube for the NV3550 is the still available Mopar lube. Redline MTL is also good.

Yes they're measured on different scales I believe.
This is true. Gear lube is measured differently than motor oil. 10/30 motor oil is roughly the same viscosity as 75/90 gear lube. And it's true, Chrysler now recommends 10/30 motor oil for the AX15.

·
Banned
139 Posts
The '02 has the NV3550 transmission, not the AX15, which was used up until 1999. The best lube for the NV3550 is the still available Mopar lube. Redline MTL is also good.
Oops....my mistake. The AX-15 was discontinued in favor of the (questionably better) NV3550.

NV specs 10w30 synthetic motor oil for the NV3550, so my recommendation stands. An interesting thread from September can be found at:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/if-...ues-with-your-nv3550-look-inside-56322-2.html

I've used Redline's MTL and MT90, as well as ATF, ATF+4, Royal Purple, DC's OEM fluid, etc. in the past. I have found that Mobil One 10w30 Synthetic outperformed everything else, hands-down. Highly recommended.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
90%+ of the GL-5 gear lubes suitable for axles already contain the friction modifier if your rear axle has the clutch-based LSD. In fact, it would be hard to find one that does not already has it. Only add friction modifier separately if the gear lube does not already have it which will be indicated on the back label by it saying something like "Compatible with limited slip differentials". If the particular gear lube you want to buy does not have it and you need it, most auto parts stores have it in little 4 ounce bottles. It is always safe to run a gear lube with the friction modifier even if your axle does not have a LSD, friction modifier is compatible with all axle types. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Almost forgot to ask what viscosity I should run for the front differential and forgot to ask for the transfer case?

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Make sure you get syncromesh for the tranny, you have to have it. (you will crap when you see the price) royal purple, and mopar make it.79/90 or so on the diff. you can use heavier if you want, axles arent really picky

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Make sure you get syncromesh for the tranny, you have to have it.
Synchromesh (from Pennzoil or GM) is the wrong gear lube for 2002 and older AX-5 and AX-15 manual transmissions as the OP has, Synchromesh is only suitable for 2003 and newer transmissions like the NV3550.

The OP's AX-15 transmission should only use a GL-3 or GL-4 75W-90 gear lube. Redline MT-90, a synthetic GL-4 75W-90 would be a great choice. Aisin, the transmission manufacturer, recently added a synthetic 10W-90 engine oil which is very close in viscosity to 75W-90 gear lube as another acceptable lube.

Some additional safe GL-5 75W-90 gear lubes for the AX-5 and AX-15 transmissions include Royal Purple's Max-Gear 75W-90 or Amsoil's 75W-90 that while they are both GL-5, they are formulated in such a way that makes them safe and good choices for either transmission.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts