Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have '92 Jeep Wrangler YJ. I need to replace the cowl rubber gasket under the front window. This looks like it would be pretty easy. Do I glue it down or does it snap on. I'm very new to this and this may be kind of a no brainer fix, but need some pros to give me some advice.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It should just fit into place without glue, haven't personally replaced mine yet, but it shouldn't be too much trouble

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have '92 Jeep Wrangler YJ. I need to replace the cowl rubber gasket under the front window. This looks like it would be pretty easy. Do I glue it down or does it snap on. I'm very new to this and this may be kind of a no brainer fix, but need some pros to give me some advice.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. No glue required. You just fold your windshield down (after removing some bolts/screws), remove the old one and instal the new one. I had to scrape the old one off in a few spots since somehow it stuck, but only in a few small places. Other than that the old one came off pretty easy.

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are small phillips screws that hold the cowl seal on, remove them and reinstall with the new seal.

You should see about 10-12 small holes across the length of the seal, every hole is a screw hole.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Piece of cake. The hardest part is lowering the windshield if the hinges are rusted and siezed. Just remove the bolts at the top of the A pillar and the top bolts near on the left and right side of the dash. Make sure you also remove the bolts for the sun visors, else you stand the chance of stripping them out when the windshield folds. If the windshield refuses to budge after all is loose, spray with PB Blaster a couple of days beforehand and it will come right down. When it moves, don't force it, work it back and forth until it's loose - you may bend the hinges if you try to gorilla it down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
replacement seal

i'm looking for a replacement but don't want to risk buying something that's no good or would leak. since you guys seem to have done this before any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just did mine. Piece of cake. I also added a little extreme temperature silicone on mine just to keep any potential water out. I just restored my entire Jeep, so I wanted to be safe. You can get the gasket from Quadratec. Like stated earlier, a few screws holds it in place.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The hardest part of mine was getting the windshield close enough to the roll bars to get the bolts back in. What I did was put a rachtet strap around the center hoop bar the through the tie down hoop in the center of the windshield frame. Slowly, very slowly, ratcheted the windshield back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Probably a stupid question but do I need to completely remove the hard top in order to fold the windshield to replace this gasket. My 95 drivers floor is soaked every time it rains. It's the only other thing I can think of. The drain at the cowl is clear...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Probably a stupid question but do I need to completely remove the hard top in order to fold the windshield to replace this gasket. My 95 drivers floor is soaked every time it rains. It's the only other thing I can think of. The drain at the cowl is clear...
Just raise up the front and put something between it and your roll bars to hold up the front

·
Registered
699 Posts
i'm looking for a replacement but don't want to risk buying something that's no good or would leak. since you guys seem to have done this before any suggestions?:confused:
It's just a rubber strip - I bought mine on ebay. Be sure it is not too cold when installing - you'll have to pull/stretch it a bit and mine still had about an inch on each end - allows for expansion when it's really hot.
Easy job. no gluing required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts