Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

My 2007 JK that I bought used 6 months ago will likely need the muffler replaced in the upcoming months. My Jeep is in immaculate condition and the muffler is showing it's age being it's 12 years old.

Question, looking on-line I can get a replacement Walker muffler for $114 or go with the original OEM Mopar replacement muffler at $290.

Is there a major difference between the Mopar muffler and the Walker muffler? Looking for advice.

Also, when I order are there any other parts I should consider purchasing clamps or any other parts, etc.?

Appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Michelle

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Go with the Walker muffler and save some jeep bucks. Generally all you need are clamp(s) unless some other parts break during the removal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aggrex,

Thanks so much for your advice. Wasn't sure if there were significant differences in quality with the Mopar muffler vs. the Walker muffler.

The Walker muffler looks like a direct replacement. I'll purchase the necessary clamp as well.

Is this something hubby and I can do ourselves or would it be best to purchase the muffler and bring it to our local shop?

Thanks again for your advice.

Michelle :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
It isn't hard to remove other than the rubber hangers. I just replaced my exhaust system with a after market one. Wd40 the rubber hangers helps alot and also the hanger tool. This is the one I bought. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012S9A5U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_L2xkDb595NTBK
I watched a YouTube video from CJ pony parts for tips on removing the old one
You probably will only need to watch the first part of it. If you lived closer you could of had mine old one. Hope this is helpful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
965 Posts
Make sure the Walker is the correct width. I bought a used 08 Rubicon in 2016 and noticed the hangar on the drivers side was flexing and breaking at the muffler. The rod was stupid long, creating an inordinate amount of weight to leverage it. Allowing a ton of flex there. I compared it to stock and saw how much difference in width from OE to whatever the hell was on mine. Problem is, I don't know what brand it was. Just wanted you to make sure hangars are stock length.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts