Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my Bestop. The back window zipper busted & I was wanting to update my soft top also. I was wondering if any one has the Bestop Sunrider? If so Id like all the feed back as possible. I am liking it due to the face that I will be able to have a sun roof without taking off the whole top. Will I have to purchase a new header bar or any other materials to install this. I currently have the tinted windows & would like to keep using them with the sunrider top but don't know if they would match up together. All Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The Bestop Sunrider is based on the Supertop and uses therir own frame design. (most do not like the Supertop) Your OEM windows will not firt the Supertop. The Supertop NX is based on the OEM frame and has the Sunrider feature.

Since your already have the OEM softop, your best option is the Replace-A-top frabric to go on your frame. Sailcloth is the best option.

·
Administrator
30,780 Posts
I've had the sunrider for 3 years and I love it for the same reason that you mentioned. It's nice to be able to get off work, walk out into the lot, flip back the sunrider and roll up the back window. Your best bet is to contact the Quadratec Soft Top Advisors at 1-800-745-5337 and ask them about what it would require to make the switch.

·
Wheelin' and Dealin'
1,521 Posts
JDsDream said:
I've had the sunrider for 3 years and I love it for the same reason that you mentioned. It's nice to be able to get off work, walk out into the lot, flip back the sunrider and roll up the back window. Your best bet is to contact the Quadratec Soft Top Advisors at 1-800-745-5337 and ask them about what it would require to make the switch.
Do you have any problems with any extra vibration due to the extra joints in the soft top frame? Or do any of the joints seem weak like they'd break easily? I was looking at getting a new soft top and I was wondering if there were any issues with the folding mechanisms on a sunrider?

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
Do you have any problems with any extra vibration due to the extra joints in the soft top frame? Or do any of the joints seem weak like they'd break easily? I was looking at getting a new soft top and I was wondering if there were any issues with the folding mechanisms on a sunrider?
I don't. I have the bestop sunrider for many years. When it is forward and locked to the windshield there is a slide on the side bar that you move back over the joint to lock the front side bars into place.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Basin Bee,
Someone had a similar Q the other day and this is how I responded. Hope you don't mind the cut/paste.

"I've the Bestop Sunrider and Bestop sliding uppers for about 4 years. The uppers are great, no problems except for the passenger side window no longer latching completely.

The Sunrider (which I believe is sail cloth) is so much quieter than the OEM and easier to take down completely. The flip top is very convenient and quick. The only problem with that is that it ships with just one nylon strap to hold it back. With only one it tends to flip and flop on the freeway and makes the ride very noisy. I called Bestop and they sent me additional ones for free. I put 4 on at a time and I love it. The downside of these straps is that they rot in about a year and a half here in SoCal, then I have to call them again.

The only other complaint is where the top connects to the frame above each of the doors it's held on by velcro, one side sewed to the roof/top and the other stuck (adhesive) to the steel frame. When it gets hot here that latter tends to slip off, leaving both halves stuck together on the roof side. I've tried replacing this with industrial strength velcro, used airplane adhesive from 3M and a mess of other attempts, none of them work, it still slides off leaving the goopy sticky mess behind. I called Bestop and they acted dumb and said they've had any complaints, go figure.

I do like this top, don't get me wrong, but it does have some small issues.

My 2 cents.

Edit in: Bestop does not have a bikini top that will work with the Sunrider system. So your stuck jimmy rigging one like me."

·
Registered
196 Posts
All I can say is if you change to a different soft top frame, keep all the pieces to your original OEM frame! All of them!!! I can't say this enough. My ex put the Pavement Ends flip top and frame on my '98 and I drove it for 6 years that way. Love the ability to flip the top back whenever I want but now that I need to replace the top again, I wish that I had the original frame!!! It's costing me a fortune to put my frame back to OEM and I wish he had never gotten rid of the original.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info & help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts