Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my upper control arms in half, and the passenger side front bump stop on my 2003 wrangler tj sport. Do I have to remove the springs to replace the bump stop? I am gonna assume yes. So I am thinking I should install the new upper control arms first to stabilize the axle. Then put jack stands on the frame behind the wheels. Then remove the steering arms shocks and stabilizer alarms and brake lines. Then then put the axle on Jack's and remove the wheels. Then lower the axle until the springs are able to be removed..then fix the bump stop. So the control arms should not have to come off. Is this right?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I would
- jack stand the frame behind front wheel, carefully as you lower it will want to roll back some
- remove tires
-put a rolling jack under the diff, carefully to support weight
-install but don't torque control arms
-diconnect sway bar links and track bar
-remove springs easily at this point
-replace bump stop
- replace springs
- replace tires
- lower jeep to the ground
- torque control arms
- install sway bar links and track bar

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was at the cliffs off road park. I have some video. But I am not sure when it broke. I may have broke it at any time because I didn't check my vehicle till the end of the day. Next time I bc will be inspecting after each stunt. If you know the park I find trail 10 one of the harder ones. And I got in a short deep hole that I had to rock out of. But it could have been when I jumped the jeep. I only got a little air. I also did trail 3 the bus stop trail. I will post links next.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
broke a few things at the cliffs today! - QCJEEPERS 4X4 CLUB
I did the write up here. Not sure if. Have to register to view it.
got some inaccurate info on there.

what you called the bumpstop, is not really "the bumpstop".

it's actually an aftermarket poly jounce bumper....which is a POS. you're better off with the stock jounce bumper.

the jounce bumper is supposed to fully compress into the bumpstop cup. you install bumpstop extensions in order to prevent suspension interference issues. in front, bumpstop extensions are bolted to the spring pad, after you drill and tap the pad.

so, to summarize...."the bumpstop" consists to three main things...1) the bumpstop cup, 2) the jounce bumper, and 3) the bumpstop extension.

also, did you push the axle to full bump to see what the suspension cycle is doing? doesn't appear so based on your pictures. you should do this while the springs are out. if you do, you'll be able to fix your bumpstops correctly and prevent damaging stuff again later.

Read these:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/correct-bumpstop-length-70047.html
bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my bumper it is hard rubber and goes not compress into the bumper cup. It is pressed or in my case hammered into the bump stop cup. It is not spring loaded but it is extended to match the 4" spring lift.

There was alot of info in those links. I have read simular threads. As far as length of the bumper and adding stock to the bottom side. Yes I do need to add an inch to the bottom to keep the 35s from rubbing fenders. I do plan to add those before I put the springs back on.

I gather that the info that was incorrect is that I called it a bump stop?

The shocks are the right length as they match the 4" lift. I am thinking that the length of the shocks are good because I will be limiting the travel via adding stock to the bottom side.

I did flex and determined that I need either a 1" body lift or bump stop extensions. I don't really want to do a body lift.

The upper front bumper came off because the axle twisted and the spring arched and pushed the bumper out of the cup. You can see the spring was side flexing in one of the pictures on my write up. But I should point out the write up was about removing the axle fixing the bumper and fixing the control arms and brackets.

I am new at this and the terminology does elude me sometimes thanks for letting me know. I will see if it is possible to edit that.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apon rereading this thread and a more through reading of the links you posted. Those were long threads! I am going to test the movement of the suspension to make sure my jounce bump stop and shocks are as they should be. I will post pictures of this on my thread as I do it. Right now I have the axle all the way out and I am waiting for the tabs or brackets for the control arms. I decided to beef it up, I didn't really have a choice cuz they were mangled up. After I weld the brackets to the axle. Which could be a week cuz I am still waiting on parts. I will focus my attention on the articulation. Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate any help I can get. I will post to this thread when I post more pictures on my write up. I should copy my write up at qcjeepers to this forum. cuz qcjeepers is more of a club site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts