Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I pulled the old and worn out OEM seats from my Jeep JK and upgraded with some suspension seats. The new seats do not reuse the OEM seat belt setup, so I am going with a 5 point harness. I resolved the seat belt warning by reconnecting up the seat belt receiver with the connector, all good there. However I'm having issues resolving the airbag warning light on the dash. I removed all of the wiring from the seat and even pulled the airbag and connected it, still does not clear the airbag light. Has anyone done this and found a way to clear the light? Pic attached for reference.

Any guidance / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Yep , I replaced seat and also got light

Yep , I replaced driver's seat with 4" seat extenders and an orthopedic seat . The light came on , and I covered it with a small piece of cardboard and two small pieces of scotch tape . Presto : no more light . Another idea would be a brush and some black paint .:bop:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You're probably not going to be able to clear the light. OEM seats have three sensors and if there's a fault detected with any of them the air bag light will activate. The air bag might not activate in a collision when the light stays on. If the computer detects a problem or there's a disconnect with the occupant detection sensor, seat position sensor or seat belt latch sensor the air bag light will activate. A faulty clockspring can also cause the airbag light to activate, but that is most likely not the issue when the seats are removed. If not having functioning air bags isn't an issue then what was stated above I guess takes care of it. I know that dealers won't get involved with this type of mod.

·
Registered
171 Posts
what year is it? there is an occupancy sensor that can be re-installed on the new seat. some had the sensor on the seat mounts some had them in side the seat. you can also wire in a resistor to trick the system into thinking you have an air bag.

There is also a seat position sensor that should be re-used.

Also be careful with 5 points as they are not DOT legal and you can get a seatbelt ticket if wearing them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should be able to plug a 2 ohm resistor into the connector to trick the system into thinking there is a connection. We do this on mustangs all the time for race seats. Plus it still allows proper function of the rest of the safety system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To make sure, grab a volt meter, and check the resistance, then order up a resistor around the same range. I originally said 2 ohm because that's what we used. Pretty easy fix unless the seat has a pressure sensor, which I don't think jeeps do, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're probably not going to be able to clear the light. OEM seats have three sensors and if there's a fault detected with any of them the air bag light will activate. The air bag might not activate in a collision when the light stays on. If the computer detects a problem or there's a disconnect with the occupant detection sensor, seat position sensor or seat belt latch sensor the air bag light will activate. A faulty clockspring can also cause the airbag light to activate, but that is most likely not the issue when the seats are removed. If not having functioning air bags isn't an issue then what was stated above I guess takes care of it. I know that dealers won't get involved with this type of mod.
When I pulled the OEM seats, they only had a single wire running from the connector in the Jeep to a connection on the seat which ran up to the actual side airbag. I did not see any additional sensors on either seat. The drivers seat did not have any additional sensors (assumes someone is driving) however the passenger seat did have a sensor that ran with the seat belt. I had not installed that into the replacement seat as I had thought it would always assume it was vacant. I can try and hook that up and see what happens. If I cant find a fix, my next step was calling a dealer to see what they would say...thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should be able to plug a 2 ohm resistor into the connector to trick the system into thinking there is a connection. We do this on mustangs all the time for race seats. Plus it still allows proper function of the rest of the safety system.
I had actually connecting everything back up, including the pulled side airbag from both seats, still did not resolve the light. I connected up a tuner to see if there was a DTC listed, nothing to clear there either. The troubleshooting continues. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
When I pulled the OEM seats, they only had a single wire running from the connector in the Jeep to a connection on the seat which ran up to the actual side airbag. I did not see any additional sensors on either seat. The drivers seat did not have any additional sensors (assumes someone is driving) however the passenger seat did have a sensor that ran with the seat belt. I had not installed that into the replacement seat as I had thought it would always assume it was vacant. I can try and hook that up and see what happens. If I cant find a fix, my next step was calling a dealer to see what they would say...thanks for the info!
The seats have occupant detection sensors, located under the seat covering. It's not a "weight" sensor as far as disabling the passenger side air bag. There's a seat position sensor and seat belt latch sensor that feeds into the main harness. Those sensors are for the "staged" air bag deployment. The force that air bags deploy takes into consideration whether or not the seat belt is latched, there's an occupant in the seat and how close the seat position is to the dash. Unlike 07 JK's, the passenger side air bag is always enabled along with the driver's side air bag. Having side air bags there would be another connection. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts