Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic of over 30 years said that's out of our league. Called the place they recommended $300 to do front and rear. What's going on? Freaking crazy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like he just don't want to do it if you ask me. I'm new to the jeep and have been in my Dana 35s ass 3 times in a week and replaced every seal and bearing. It wasn't easy but I pulled it off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's a pretty easy DIY fix of you wanted to do it..but I must warn you whoever put the pinion nut on from the factory whether it's machine or man, tightened the hell out of it lol but I agree I believe your mechanic was to lazy to do it. It's an hour tops job.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pinion nut is the only thing that worries me.... Getting it loose and retightened the same amount. I don't have an air wrench but have a 1/2 breaker bar. I guess I'm gonna hafta try that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Um yea don't even bother without an air gun trust me it doesn't work. As for tightening it to the same use a punch and make some marks on the thread and tighten back to those marks it not hard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
WVU Mountainman said:
The pinion nut is the only thing that worries me.... Getting it loose and retightened the same amount. I don't have an air wrench but have a 1/2 breaker bar. I guess I'm gonna hafta try that.
Actually you don't have to have an impact because I didn't. I used a 3/4" drive pull handle with a cheater pipe. It's bad tight that's for sure. The nut is either a 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure it's 1 1/8th. But yes if you had access to a impact it would be sooo much easier.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Um yea don't even bother without an air gun trust me it doesn't work. As for tightening it to the same use a punch and make some marks on the thread and tighten back to those marks it not hard.
That is the way I have done it Center Punch Pinion-Pinion Nut & Yolk & count number of threads sticking out past nut Proir to taking apart Then Realign everything & tighten back to where it was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts