Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right rear caliper has been sticking, intermittently. I think I should just replace both of the rears. Is there an up grade better than stock caliper I should look at? I am stock height, but hope to be on 35" and a 2.5" lift in a year or two.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My right rear caliper has been sticking, intermittently. I think I should just replace both of the rears. Is there an up grade better than stock caliper I should look at? I am stock height, but hope to be on 35" and a 2.5" lift in a year or two.
Rather than go through the expense of replacing, how about a rebuild kit? One piston seal, 2 pins, 2 pin guides, and 2 pin boots per caliper, plus more time working the wrenches (I guess in this case, picks rather than wrenches), and you'll have a like-new feel to your calipers, the satisfaction of doing it yourself (and saving money), and peace of mind that it's done right. I've picked up rebuilt calipers before that had stripped bleeder screws, gouged up pistons, etc... Not going to do that again unless I find some crippling damage on mine.

Not aware of any current offerings for rear caliper upgrades unless you go all-out-insane with a Wilwood setup at ~$1800 for the rear pair.

O_E

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yep, learned my lesson with the front. Replaced one and the other started sticking a weak later. The rear right about 2 weeks later. Ended up replacing all 4 in less than a month.
Ha same thing is happening to me right now. I now have to do my rears tmrw uggg. It's the bleeding that pisses me off not some much the swapping......so boring

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Why do you think your calipers are sticking when almost every body else's are not ? You don't think everybody has this problem do you ? You want to just replace them without finding out what's causing the problem? Sounds like your setting your self up for it happening again. Obviously there is something with the way the brakes were serviced/lack of servicing that caused the problem. I would clean and disassemble my old ones until I found what's causing the problem before just replacing. Probably the sliding pins are full of hardened grease or rusted to the point that they can't do their job. It's a common problem people have when they replace brakes at home, lack of inspection, servicing all the other components that all make up the brake. It could just as easily happen at a shop also. If I were to replace, I would go bigger like in the way of a big brake kit, not just replace with stock parts again.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
667 Posts
Why do you think your calipers are sticking when almost every body else's are not ? You don't think everybody has this problem do you ? You want to just replace them without finding out what's causing the problem? Sounds like your setting your self up for it happening again. Obviously there is something with the way the brakes were serviced/lack of servicing that caused the problem. I would clean and disassemble my old ones until I found what's causing the problem before just replacing. Probably the sliding pins are full of hardened grease or rusted to the point that they can't do their job. It's a common problem people have when they replace brakes at home, lack of inspection, servicing all the other components that all make up the brake. It could just as easily happen at a shop also. If I were to replace, I would go bigger like in the way of a big brake kit, not just replace with stock parts again.
In my case the pistons are frozen from being contaminated internally due to 3 years of my axles being submerged in mud and sand. Trust me I'm the last guy to replace parts before seeing if they can rebuilt or restored

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replaced the calipers , easy to do. reused the pads since they had a lot of life left . Then flushed the brake fluid. Then realized the condition of the fluid in the other two jeeps, so I did those as well. At least the tools were out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts