Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - there are several threads on soundbar speaker replacement already, but I wanted to post some step by step with pictures for those who havent done it yet. For those that haven't already done this simple mod, I will post my opinion and reviews at the end. In this case, I'm upgrading to the 6.5" Kickers from stock Infinity speakers, and filling the soundbar with polyfill.

To start, I used two 12x12 polyfill pillows that I got at a craft store (Michael's). I will say that these two pillows were exactly enough polyfill. I had a small handful left over. You need to get the polyfill up into the channel that runs to the dome light. This channel houses the speaker wire harness. For those with hardtops, it is not as wide as the area where the thumb-screws for the top fasten on. I was initially worried that if i filled that part of the soundbar with polyfill, it would get wound around the hardtop thumbscrews that pass through the soundbar. Rest assured, the channel is a seperate area of the soundbar. You will want to be careful as the soundbar plastic edges are extremely sharp. Gloves would have been a good idea, Ive got matching scrapes on my hands and forearm from trying to stuff the polyfill inside.

Use a 15T torx bit to undo the speaker cover screws (3) on each speaker. The speaker connection is a simple clip connector. Unclip and simply reverse process with new speakers. In this case, I used the (77Kick10) 6.5" Kicker speakers that fit with no modification and use the existing clip connector.

The polyfill:

Removed covers from Infinity speakers:

Back of Infinity speaker and connector:

Infinity speaker removed:

Polyfill inserted into soundbar channel and speaker hole:

Polyfill installed:

New kicker speaker:

Old Infinity speaker & Kicker side by side:

Installing Kicker:

The polyfill is packed in tight, but if you have worked with it before, it tries its best to escape because it is slippery and tends to expand after you pack it in tightly. So pack enough around the speaker, but dont overpack so it attempts to attack you as you screw the speaker in.

The results:

I love the upgrade and I can say honestly it made a HUGE difference in the acoustics inside my JKU. My hardtop is on, and has been on since taking delivery so I can only comment on the acoustics with the top on, but immediately you actually HEAR the soundbar speakers. For comparison, I left my EQ and audio settings the same (fade/balance) and left the same song queued up. Seriously, I smiled immediately when I heard the improvement

·
Registered
267 Posts
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I saw you had Infinity speakers, does that mean you had the Infinity sound system in the Jeep?

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sjeupie said:
Great post! Why did you chose the kickers over anything else?
Mainly because the Kickers are plug and play and fit the Chrysler connector with zero effort

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That's awesome, I was smiling too

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IP0VV3R said:
Are those kickers the ones on Quadratec? They don't look like but thought I'd ask
Nope these I got from allusasupercenter. But they also have them on amazon. Model is 77kick10. They were $65 for the pair. Quadratec sells the JKKWR for $149 I think and I think they are marine rates, don't recall

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Red Sector A said:
Nope these I got from allusasupercenter. But they also have them on amazon. Model is 77kick10. They were $65 for the pair. Quadratec sells the JKKWR for $149 I think and I think they are marine rates, don't recall
I think the ones from Quadratec are weather resistant. I could be wrong though

·
Registered
650 Posts
As an FYI, I believe if you order replacement speakers from Crutchfield, they'll come with harness adapters that plug into the factory connectors and have terminals on the end to fit whatever speaker you buy, as well as install instructions..

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Red Sahara said:
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I saw you had Infinity speakers, does that mean you had the Infinity sound system in the Jeep?
It's the premium sound system with the 7 infinity speakers I can't comment on the stock stock speakers but these are also paper cone

·
Registered
32 Posts
Simply add polyfil or Changing the speaker in the soundbar.....realy make the difference....My soundbar (infinity system with subwoofer) sound crappy like earbuds who are cranked to max but without power....the power level is ridiculy down comparing to the front speakers....Adding a new amplifier,headunit(Pioneer Avic-z140BH) cannot be the best thing to do in first.....
Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
What is the Ohm rating and wattage on the old speakers ?
Compared to the new ones ?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey I have a question about this
What is the purpose to fill the soundbar
You can add af speakers to a stock system?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Followed these instructions and got my Kickers installed in the soundbar yesterday. They difference in sound is incredible. Where before everything sounded somewhat muted and muddled. the speakers in the soundbar now sound defined. I Was actually hearing music! Can't wait to get the ones in my dash done next weekend

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I bought a couple cheap $1.99 pillows at Wally World for the fill and they've been sitting in my spare room for months now. Thanks for the write-up! I have some time off coming up very soon, so this should be on my short list of to-do's!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts