Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am replacing my sagging springs with some new OME 2.5" lift springs. If I install like the directions say (connecting both ends of the springs to the shackle and frame), when I pull up the u-bolts the pin that fits in the hole under the spring perch is about 1 to 2 inches too far back. The only way I can get the u-bolts and plate to pull up correctly is to take the bolt out where the spring mounts to the frame in back (sorry, it's late and I can't remember the right terminology!!). Anyway, then it is impossible to get the spring connected in the back. Any trick to this? I did one side at a time, and the first side I did is not correct. I'm going to have to loosen it and try to get it lined up. These are the front springs......any help will be appreciated.....and no, they aren't backwards. Haha...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I should make sure they aren't backwards. The springs have a plus sign and arrow pointing in one direction. The spring eye on the opposite end from the arrow is bigger than the one with the arrow. I just assume the plus sign means it goes toward the front ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Also, you may want to remove both springs and jack up the front end or rear end, and this way your axle has some play. I did this with my cherokee, and it was a PITA. Stock to 4.5" lift. Doing one side at a time wasn't working well bc of the height difference of the springs. Thats just a thought.

The other is put the springs on the frame and shackle, then hammering it back. It works, but be careful. I would try the first way, since it wont risk damaging anything.

Good luck. Lifts ALWAYS make a jeep look better, drive better, and offroad better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gotta...

do both at the same time...

It'll be clear then front or back of the spring...

The centering pin has to be lined up (close) with the center of the wheel well...

Nike

431 Posts
Also can I just cut through the stock U-Bolt's? I have an RC 4'Lift and just wanted to make sure I can cut the stock U-Bolt's cause some of the nut's are rusted real bad and won't come off with impact, just making sure I don't need any of those nut's just invade factor!! Please anyone

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought this thread was about installing new springs....anyway thanks guys. I finally got it, and yep, you gotta do both sides at the same time.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I should make sure they aren't backwards. The springs have a plus sign and arrow pointing in one direction. The spring eye on the opposite end from the arrow is bigger than the one with the arrow. I just assume the plus sign means it goes toward the front ?
To finish this thread off, I found out in the end that if you leave the u-bolt nuts a little loose (just snug) on both sides, the axle is very easy to move around and get lined up with the pin. Thanks for everybody's input!!:punk:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Charley24 said:
To finish this thread off, I found out in the end that if you leave the u-bolt nuts a little loose (just snug) on both sides, the axle is very easy to move around and get lined up with the pin. Thanks for everybody's input!!:punk:
Suppose to leave a little loose then lower and remove jack then tighten down

1 - 13 of 13 Posts