Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock headlights really suck on my lj and it is almost unsafe to drive it at night. I am looking to upgrade to some aftermarket lights.
What would u guys suggest?

·
Registered
481 Posts
THESE: Bosch European H4 Headlights - PAIR

Best bang for your buck. Choose your favorite flavor of bulbs and your ready to go. I chose HIDs but some people prefer just the standard H4 bulb.
^^^ X2.. This is what I did, Alex is right for the money you won't do better. Also consider an upgraded harness from RJM or Susquehanna Motorsports. Very easy to install.

RJM Injection Tech — Headlight Harness
Susquehanna Motorsports Transition Upgrade Headlamp Harness - RallyLights.com

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
What is your budget?

busdepot Bosch H4 housings/the inexpensive Hella bulbs on the same page/RJM harness ~$120
Cibié H4 e-code housings, Osram bulbs and D. Stern wiring kit ~$300
Truck-Lite LED lights ~$500
J.W. Speaker LED lights ~$800

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe I dont know what I'm missing, but I had KC replacements in my 99 and thought they were a great upgrade for about $100. Just bought a second set on eBay for $63 shipped, brand new, for the 06 I have now. Wish I had kept them when I sold my 99!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just be careful of crap on eBay... If its not DOT the man can give you a nice fat ticket... Down south in the third world country I live in AKA South Florida... It's not really an issue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
KC's are DOT Legal

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Delta housings and 60/55W bulbs here, along with a custom harness I made myself. Easy enough to do, and much less expensive than a pre-made harness.

If you live in the land of salt like I do, make sure the relays and connections are weather-proofed, regardless of who makes the harness/relays.

·
Commercial Member
7,890 Posts
What is your budget?

busdepot Bosch H4 housings/the inexpensive Hella bulbs on the same page/RJM harness ~$120
Cibié H4 e-code housings, Osram bulbs and D. Stern wiring kit ~$300
Truck-Lite LED lights ~$500
J.W. Speaker LED lights ~$800
Truck lites are down to $390 at discount fleet supply fyi.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got delta tech quad housings. $150?? And got the DDM hid kit, 35watt 5000k hi/lo bulbs for $75. Brighter then stock. But no so obnoxious that it blinds other drivers.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I struggled with this issue and went with the Truck Lites LEDs. Yes its a bit more but in the end I was satisfied with the decision and the outcome.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Agree the stock headlights suck. :facepalm: The 2014's are supposed to come with better ones (maybe then available from Mopar). You don't say or show what year your Jeep is, but if it's a 2013 the simplest, cheapest alternative is to change out the bulbs to Philips X-Treme bulbs. There is extensive discussion about the pros and cons of other alternatives on this site. Some people are Trucklite fans, some are JW Speaker and a host of others. HIDs may not be legal in your area, are very costly and can present serious issues of blinding oncoming drivers if not correctly installed with the right housing.

So you might want to do a little research elsewhere on this forum and then pick your poison. I got the Philips bulbs, easy peasy and they are adequate.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Agree the stock headlights suck. :facepalm: The 2014's are supposed to come with better ones (maybe then available from Mopar). You don't say or show what year your Jeep is, but if it's a 2013 the simplest, cheapest alternative is to change out the bulbs to Philips X-Treme bulbs. There is extensive discussion about the pros and cons of other alternatives on this site. Some people are Trucklite fans, some are JW Speaker and a host of others. HIDs may not be legal in your area, are very costly and can present serious issues of blinding oncoming drivers if not correctly installed with the right housing.

So you might want to do a little research elsewhere on this forum and then pick your poison. I got the Philips bulbs, easy peasy and they are adequate.
Well this is the TJ section, so we cant just change bulbs like you JK folks. Have to upgrade from the sealed beam headlights!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well this is the TJ section, so we cant just change bulbs like you JK folks. Have to upgrade from the sealed beam headlights!
:hide:Thanks for the correction. Didn't see the masthead. I'll go back to the JK section now. :whistling:

·
Registered
117 Posts
The stock headlights really suck on my lj and it is almost unsafe to drive it at night. I am looking to upgrade to some aftermarket lights.
What would u guys suggest?
I just put a set of KCs in my 06 Lj they made such a big difference they ran a little over 100$.
Well worth the money plus they look very nice installed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
After buying some H4 housings (black not recommended) you won't go wrong with hids. Personally, I can't justify spending stupid money on headlights that'll get broken or stolen. A few years ago I stumbled upon a gem and once I got my first set, I've never purchased any other halogen bulb again.

http://www.vvme.com/hid-conversion-kits

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hallo
I want to ask if you have any sollution about more space in my tj because now I have a baby and I need more space to carry things.
Thank you

1 - 20 of 36 Posts