Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JKU Rubicon X edition, teraflex leveling kit and 255/80r17 toyo open country AT3s
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just installed a teraflex leveling kit (2" front and 1" rear) and my original red rubicon shocks are pretty rusty but not leaking. 60K miles. I tried cleaning them up and repainting but I'm not real happy with the way they look and I think I want to replace them soon.
Lift is minimal so I don't need lift specific specialty shocks. Just looking for reasonable quality replacements. Light off-road use.
Btw, the only other rust is light surface rust frame and axles under the jeep and I've been cleaning it up and using a rust reformer spray paint with good results.
Thanks

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Super Moderator
7,026 Posts
Have just installed a teraflex leveling kit (2" front and 1" rear) and my original red rubicon shocks are pretty rusty but not leaking. 60K miles. I tried cleaning them up and repainting but I'm not real happy with the way they look and I think I want to replace them soon.
Lift is minimal so I don't need lift specific specialty shocks. Just looking for reasonable quality replacements. Light off-road use.
Btw, the only other rust is light surface rust frame and axles under the jeep and I've been cleaning it up and using a rust reformer spray paint with good results.
Thanks
If you don’t have a lift, only a leveling kit, you need shocks that will fit a stock height Jeep. That does limit somewhat your choices.
Rancho has a few models of shock that fit a stock height Jeep. Rancho isn’t a premium shock brand, but they are a good value for the dollar shock.
Other options include OME, Fox, and Bilstein.
Depending on budget, there may be other options like King that are dramatically more expensive (but also dramatically better quality).
I like Rancho 9000 option, an adjustable shock for around $100 each. But I will add that for a little more money than a set of Rancho shocks you can get the Rancho 2” progressive spring lift.

·
Registered
2016 JKUR soft top 6 speed. MORE oil pan skid. Dominion Evap Canister Relocated
513 Posts
I went with fox. They have a 0-1” option for the front and 0-2” option for the back. The shocks are definitely longer than stock and should work with the leveling kit.

when you pull your shocks you will likely be surprised to find that they are shot even though they don’t leak.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary Edition
407 Posts
I went with Rancho 9000's -- the my 10A is 2.5" higher than a sport with a 1" leveling disc up front and I went with the 2.5" Rancho's figuring they are based on sport specs....not sure I'm right but they seem to be working nicely :D Set on 4 up front and 3 in the rear....oh and changing the passenger side front is a pain! Get out the dremmel.

·
Registered
2016 JKUR soft top 6 speed. MORE oil pan skid. Dominion Evap Canister Relocated
513 Posts
I went with Rancho 9000's -- the my 10A is 2.5" higher than a sport with a 1" leveling disc up front and I went with the 2.5" Rancho's figuring they are based on sport specs....not sure I'm right but they seem to be working nicely :D Set on 4 up front and 3 in the rear....oh and changing the passenger side front is a pain! Get out the dremmel.
It can be done if you don’t value your knuckle skin. And have a ratcheting wrench…

·
Super Moderator
7,026 Posts
While the special editions like the Recon and 10A do sit higher, the bumpstops are in the exact same location as they are on any other JK/JKU. So the compressed length of the shocks needs to be the same as any other JK/JKU.
You may want to confirm that your shocks are short enough to not be what stops suspension travel.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I went with Metal Cloak RockSport shocks and I love the ride. I have run Rancho 9000 and Bilstein 5100. Bilstein’s too stiff for my liking. The Rancho 9000 set soft 2-3 are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
While the special editions like the Recon and 10A do sit higher, the bumpstops are in the exact same location as they are on any other JK/JKU. So the compressed length of the shocks needs to be the same as any other JK/JKU.
You may want to confirm that your shocks are short enough to not be what stops suspension travel.
I was wondering about the shock length and will have to check the length against the original shock but compressed the rears seemed about the same though the fronts did seem longer. I would imagine a longer bump would solve the issue.

Truthfully I was more worried about shock travel allowing too much droop

·
Registered
2014 JKU Rubicon X edition, teraflex leveling kit and 255/80r17 toyo open country AT3s
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like I might be able to buy new mopar replacements red/black same as I have for about $115 each. Not a lot of choices out there.
I had rancho shocks on a truck and they were a disappointment.
my rubicon is an early 2014 “X” and they were using left over 10a parts to some extent. Not sure about the springs.

·
Super Moderator
7,026 Posts
It looks like I might be able to buy new mopar replacements red/black same as I have for about $115 each. Not a lot of choices out there.
I had rancho shocks on a truck and they were a disappointment.
my rubicon is an early 2014 “X” and they were using left over 10a parts to some extent. Not sure about the springs.
I think that is a lot of money for what you are getting. For that price you could buy better shocks from Fox, OME, Bilstein, Rancho, TeraFlex, etc. They all, and others, offer shocks for non-lifted Jeeps (aka, shocks that are as short compressed as the stock shocks).
Or this would be a good time for a mild lift.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No lift. I’m right where I want to be with the TF leveling kit and 33” tires.
I’m old and getting shorter. My wife is older than me and has always been short. Not looking to climb any higher than I do now.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i'm with many others and have the rancho 9000 adjustables for about $100 each. can set stiff or soft whatever you need at the time. I just towed a trailer to florida and back and had the jeep loaded so stiffened them up for the extra weight. had them on my last jeep(01 tj) as well. stiffer when the plow was on and when ballast in the back then when removed softened back up. I like the idea of dialing in my ride. one size does not fit all...LOL

BTW at least put a clear coat on the shock body before installing....keep them from rusting too fast!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
"
You may want to confirm that your shocks are short enough to not be what stops suspension travel. "

I keep reading this and thinking that it doesn't make sense. The don't sit higher, they are higher. Period.

The 2013 Wrangler Sport say just shy of 2.5" lower than the 2013 Wrangler Rubicon 10A.

They may have had the same shocks (I believe I saw somewhere here they do not, as well as different springs) and bump stops but I'd think that strange as they would limit these vehicles. Why lift a vehicle 2.5" and not allow it to get full use of that extra height?

So, assuming the Rancho 9000's meant for the Sport height (I read somewhere here all figures for lifts are based on Sport stock heights so don't get a 2.5" lift for a 10A and expect it to be 5" taller than a sport) then it seems to me a shock made for something lifted 2.5" higher would be the right shock (I can be totally wrong, just trying to understand).

Here is the stock replacement shock according to Rancho and this is for a 2013 Wrangler 4x4 with no lift

Here is what I bought for my 10A with a 1" leveling disc up front making it nearly 3.5" higher than a stock Sport

Notice the difference in compressed length of 1.64" and an extended length difference of 3.3". So from as stock sport these shocks will give a lot more travel on the down stroke but are just under 2" longer collapsed (up stroke if you will).
I will have to take some measurements of the 10A shocks to compare.

I'd guess, at most, I'd need a 1.75" longer bump stop to prevent the shocks getting crushed when the wheel goes up and the body goes down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you don’t have a lift, only a leveling kit, you need shocks that will fit a stock height Jeep. That does limit somewhat your choices.
Rancho has a few models of shock that fit a stock height Jeep. Rancho isn’t a premium shock brand, but they are a good value for the dollar shock.
Other options include OME, Fox, and Bilstein.
Depending on budget, there may be other options like King that are dramatically more expensive (but also dramatically better quality).
I like Rancho 9000 option, an adjustable shock for around $100 each. But I will add that for a little more money than a set of Rancho shocks you can get the Rancho 2” progressive spring lift.
I put the Rancho 2" Spring Lift kit on my 2016 Wrangler JKU - I like it! Good price, good value.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I bought my Jeep used and it had a 2" puck lift up front, and 1" in the rear. (I figured rear lift too late) I recently replaced my stock Rubicon shocks with 80k miles on them with Fox Performance Series shocks for up to 3.5" lift. They were a little longer than stock of course which required some adjustments. All 4 corners had too much space between jounce and spring perch, I was going to bottom the shocks out easily where I was.

Because of that I added in MetalCloak's 2" Bumpstop spacer kit. Since I was removing the springs up front to do this I went ahead and replaced all stock jounce's with MetalCloak's Duro Springs. I also had to install brake line extension brackets all around.

Moral of the story, after you get new shocks flex it out check brake lines, e-brake lines and diff breathers if you haven't done that already.

·
Registered
407 Posts
After checking my shocks the new ones did appear slightly longer. I think closer to 3/4th of an inch but I need to strap the shock down and double check to be sure.

As close as I can tell, under some flex the shocks remaining travel is very close to the remaining space before the bump stock. I need to do some more checks but I think a 1" spacers may be the trick.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts