Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im replacing the ignition switch in my 88 yj. ive never done this and was wondering if yall have any suggestions. i havent even looked for it yet, but i dont know exactly where it is located. i just changed the key switch and didnt see it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I tried and tried .....
Finally paid a mech 35$ to do it . All he did was drop steering column changed it in like 35 min .
If I would have thought about that I'd done it myself .

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn it took me about 3 hours and 8 beers but i finally got it done and still didnt start. like yall said its not all that hard just time consuming. i guess next ill try the ignition control module. i had to drop the steering column also you might could do it without doing that but it was way easier dropping it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not sure about your situation but does the jeep start if you jump the starter directly from the battery using jumper cables? If so but the jeep doesn't start with the key and you've never changed your battery cables, it may be the battery cables. My jeep just quit starting about a week after I bought it, turned out to be heavy corrosion preventing it from starting, basically shorting out.

Probably a newbie suggestion, but wanted to help if I could.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
man im willing to try anything. i havent tried that yet but i will tomorrow and let you know. i havent changed these battery cables since ive had it so maybe, i hope so. thanks for the help man. no such thing as newbie help...help is help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well hope you get it started. Nothing like the cold feeling you get when you can't start the rig up.

Search the forum for battery cables, helped me with my problem. I also changed the starter relay on my 91 but not sure how yours is wired.

Guys on here told me to split some of the insulation off the positive cable...corrosion can form inside the wire and erode the conductivity. I split mine open after I replaced it and it was eaten up with corrosion...but you couldn't tell without taking the insulation off the wire.

Good luck getting it started, lots of guys on here know a ton so they will be sure to point you in the right direction. Let us know what happens when you jump the starter tomorrow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i jumped the starter a few minutes ago and it still wont fire. im thinkin maybe its the icm like sppfields is thinkin i just didnt want to have to spend 70 bucks but i guess i will. this sucks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does anybody know a way to check the icm to see if its bad ? i hate to spend the money if its not. electrical problems is not my specialty. id rather be changing axles or something mechanical i hate electrical problems!

·
Registered
248 Posts
when mine went out, i was driving down the road and it just died, did some checks, found i had no spark. turn key on, check power at coil with test light or multimeter, had no power. unplugged icm had power coming in on 1 side, but not going out the other side. cant remember which wires were hot. but should have at least 1 hot coming in and going out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts