Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I think I got a real good deal on my TJ and would like any input in regard to the shape it's in with corrosion. I think it has minimal body rust as well as superficial frame rust. On a scale of 1-10, how difficult will it be to complete the bodywork. Is there anything I can apply to the frame to prevent it from getting any worse? I wonder why there are no drain holes in the bottom of the frame to drain any water trapped in there? And lastly, can anyone tell is this TJ has any lift installed by looking at my pics. I appreciate all input. I'm fairly new to the Jeep world owning this 2000 TJ for less than a year and we just purchased a 2017 JK Sport for my wife. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks stock to me. Why they didn't install drain holes in the frame is beyond anyone. You can paint the frame with rubberized undercoating or go with fluid film. Just be sure to clean the undercarriage up first with a power washer and a wire wheel if the rust is real bad. The better you prep it, the longer the treatment will last.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
measure your springs front stock is 12" I believe and rear is 8", any more than that and it could have budget lift. and POR15 is a good frame treatment, its not cheap, but 1qt is nuff to double coat a frame

·
Registered
1 Posts
When prepping the frame, consider an air powered needle scaler for the heavy rust areas, they are cheap at Harbor Freight and Northern tool. Also, use rust converter on the frame after cleaning, and removing as much rust as possible, and especially BEFORE you apply any paint, undercoating or other protection. Helps if you can spray the rust converter inside the frame rails. Basically, is is a phosphoric acid that converts the rust to iron phosphate, similar to the rust proofing that gunsmiths use called Parkerizing. Very effective.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.