Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am researching buying my first JKU and looking at two different options so I was hoping to get some good feedback as to what might work best for me.

This would be my every day car and I drive about 10,000 miles per year and currently drive a Yukon XL which would go to my wife. I would plan on going off-roading once or twice a month with a yearly trip to Colorado. I don't think I would try anything challenging early on and would ultimately upgrade my Jeep if I did.

That being said here are the two options I'm looking at.

Option 1:

Buy a Sport S and upgrade it with the following:

AEV 2.5" suspension
BFG 33" A/Ts
AEV Front Bumper with lights
AEV Procal
Upgrade stereo to aftermarket

The pros are I start with a lot of the upgrades I want and could sell the stock pieces I replace.

I'm estimating total cost at around $39k.

Option 2:

Buy a Rubicon and do nothing until it needs new tires in a couple of years. Then look at upgrading everything at that point.

The pros to this are the 430 receiver, the e-locker and sway bar (which I'm not sure I'll need) and the fact that I could be off-roading this weekend.

There is one for sale I like at a local dealership for $39k.

I am all ears so please let me know what you think and if there is any additional information I can provide to help.

Thanks all!

Texas Jon

·
Registered
935 Posts
well I went the first route
bought stock replaced tires and wheels
now 3 years later i am installing 4.56 gears actually
thats already done and replaced front dana 30 with a
heavy duty dana 44 by teraflex and i dont regret buying a
stock over a rubi....i feel like my stock jku is more personalised than ever it akso has multipke small mods
Its up to you ....bug might hit you hard and yiu night start upgrading everything butvwhi knows if you think youlk
be happy with a stock rubi for now go for it

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Funny you should post this as I am pondering the same thing. I have different mods in mind, but the thinking is the same. Curious to see what folks think.

DAVE

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi everyone, I am researching buying my first JKU and looking at two different options so I was hoping to get some good feedback as to what might work best for me. This would be my every day car and I drive about 10,000 miles per year and currently drive a Yukon XL which would go to my wife. I would plan on going off-roading once or twice a month with a yearly trip to Colorado. I don't think I would try anything challenging early on and would ultimately upgrade my Jeep if I did. That being said here are the two options I'm looking at. Option 1: Buy a Sport S and upgrade it with the following: AEV 2.5" suspension BFG 33" A/Ts AEV Front Bumper with lights AEV Procal Upgrade stereo to aftermarket The pros are I start with a lot of the upgrades I want and could sell the stock pieces I replace. I'm estimating total cost at around $39k. Option 2: Buy a Rubicon and do nothing until it needs new tires in a couple of years. Then look at upgrading everything at that point. The pros to this are the 430 receiver, the e-locker and sway bar (which I'm not sure I'll need) and the fact that I could be off-roading this weekend. There is one for sale I like at a local dealership for $39k. I am all ears so please let me know what you think and if there is any additional information I can provide to help. Thanks all! Texas Jon

I like option 1, mod it up! Although the Sport S JKU is very capable of off-roading stock with no worries. I'd look for one with 3.73 gears as well. It gets you the mod's you want at the same price as the Rubicon. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Read some threads. Bottom line, if you keep a Sport for a very long time, mods can make a lot of sense. If you wind up modding a Sport and getting rid of it within 5 years or so, you are going to eat the cost of the mods and would have been way ahead getting a Rubi in the first place. For whatever reason, most buyers will not pay much for modifications but they will pay for used factory equipment (e.g., the stuff that comes on a Rubi).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I went the first route too and built a sport up. I am happy with the Jeep so far, it has gone all over the place.

Both are actually very capable of doing what you're saying you want to do with it stock. Even a stock sport would surprise you where it will go (with the right tires).

That said, as a mostly commuter vehicle that will see mild trails and long road trips, I'd say the Rubicon might work better. AEV are very quality lifts that offer a good ride on the street, but I would imagine a stock Rubi would still cruise out to CO more comfortably. And they'll retain value better. If the one you're looking at has the 4.10 gears, even better.

But as was mentioned above, the mod bug will likely hit you regardless of which you buy. It will start with "well I just need some brighter headlights" and before you know it you're into gears, lift, armor, bigger tires, ect.

Either Jeep will go places your Yukon couldn't even imagine going. You'll love either one you pick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, great responses so far! Both Jeeps I am looking at are 3.73. Both have similar interior options and I could easily upgrade anything they don't have.

I was leaning towards the Sport S with upgrades, but that seems like a really good price on the Rubicon so I might go in that direction, especially since it might be easier to learn how to off-road with a few more tools.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recommend getting the Rubi. It's an amazing off-road machine, even when stock. You will find yourself wanting to explore terrain, potentially very challenging terrain, and be very impressed with how it tackles so much. Everything is factory-designed and installed, and works well together, and there's no hassles of figuring out what you want and getting it properly set up. If you want to do some serious wheeling the day after you bring it home, go for it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You will not regret it, it comes with a lot of you may not need, but it will be good to have them if you end up needing them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Option 3:

Buy the Rubicon AND spend a ton of money making it better/cooler.

It's pretty much inevitable. Lol
Best answer yet! :D

In all seriousness...I went the first route (mainly because I was young and silly and didn't know the difference), and now I have spent thousands modding it up and making it a fine tuned machine. Looking back, I wouldn't change the way I did things - it forced me to get familiar with my rig, learn it's capabilities, and purposefully mod it for what I wanted to get out of it.

You can't go wrong either way, but I enjoy the journey of starting somewhere and seeing where I have gotten, all while enjoying the ride along the way :thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input! I was really hoping there would be a best option, but based on your responses it sounds like I'd be good either way.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do....do you want to start with the mod flu now and build it the way you want it or do you want to get the Rubi that comes pretty stout out of the box and try not to catch the flu...haha

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for all the replies. Is it worth spending the extra $5k for the Hard Rock Rubicon?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason I ask is I could do a ton of upgrades on the Sport S with the extra $5k.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Olin....I think you know which way you are leaning....just choose that one and don't look back. Either way I think you are going to enjoy your Jeep.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm in the same shape, don't know which one to buy, Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon. I've researched till I'm about to go crazy. We will also drive ours around 10k a year. Its a lot of money to just guess and not have any regrets. I think I'm leaning more toward the Sport due to wanting to do some early mods and having a little extra to do them. Good luck, keep us posted on what ya get!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am researching buying my first JKU and looking at two different options so I was hoping to get some good feedback as to what might work best for me.

This would be my every day car and I drive about 10,000 miles per year and currently drive a Yukon XL which would go to my wife. I would plan on going off-roading once or twice a month with a yearly trip to Colorado. I don't think I would try anything challenging early on and would ultimately upgrade my Jeep if I did.

That being said here are the two options I'm looking at.

Option 1:

Buy a Sport S and upgrade it with the following:

AEV 2.5" suspension
BFG 33" A/Ts
AEV Front Bumper with lights
AEV Procal
Upgrade stereo to aftermarket

The pros are I start with a lot of the upgrades I want and could sell the stock pieces I replace.

I'm estimating total cost at around $39k.

Option 2:

Buy a Rubicon and do nothing until it needs new tires in a couple of years. Then look at upgrading everything at that point.

The pros to this are the 430 receiver, the e-locker and sway bar (which I'm not sure I'll need) and the fact that I could be off-roading this weekend.

There is one for sale I like at a local dealership for $39k.

I am all ears so please let me know what you think and if there is any additional information I can provide to help.

Thanks all!

Texas Jon
There are other posts on this same question. I would go with Option 1. Read this article. (It was written in 2012, but still incredibly valid) Rubicon or Sport? - 2012 Jeep Wrangler Long-Term Road Test

I have a 2012 Sport S JKU with 3" lift, 33s, AEV procal, and Rubicon Springs. I couldn't be happier. The only bummer is having the 3.21 gear ratio, but the AEV procal will get the job done. It did it for me - I wrote this post... http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/a...ft-points-throttle-response-tpms-1577642.html

I would go with the Sport S with an upgraded gear ratio. You really don't get all that much more for the money stepping up to a Rubicon and the Sport S is still off road capable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again for all the input. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I appreciate the help!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts