Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Resell Value knowledge?

1K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  rgreen65 
#1 ·
Hey yall! I am new to the fourm!

After realistically thinking about my finanical situation as a college student I have decided (maybe, maybe not) it might be time to part with my Jeep. The gas is chewing me up and not sure if I would be able to pay insurance once off my parents payroll. I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4 Door (Copperhead Pearlcoat) and I have no clue how to determine its value correctly. I’ve read that too many mods can possibly decrease value, which luckily I don’t have. And then unique colors help hold value. I’ve seen black and white jeeps (mostly stock) with same miledge ranging from 22k-26k.

• 96,000 miles
  • No accidents
  • All stock bumpers
  • 33” Half off road tires less than a year old
  • No stains or tears in the interior, detailed myself and she is beautiful
  • Somewhat new soft top and frame
  • Sound bar speakers have been replaced with a pair from Mopar
  • 2 owners
  • No big modifications
  • Hasn’t been pushed too hard anywhere, just light off roading a few times
  • ONE semi signicant wound on top of hood close to windshield, nanny kids decorated my car and used marine expoxy to glue snowman to car. It has been sanded back down and is a circle about 3 inches in diameter. Barely noticeable when standing in front.

Would like to thank anyone who can help me!! I really don’t want to let her go, she was my first car and the only car I can see myself driving. Her name is “Rusty” :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Color really isn’t going to change the price IMHO. You have yourself a nice Jeep with average miles. I’d look for something in the middle range of what you listed. In the end you have to be happy with what you let it go for and willing to live with it if you didn’t take the lower end of what you listed. Sure the gas bill is higher on it. How much more does that equate to for your yearly driving? I know I hated it when gas was double what it is now, but it really didn’t mean thousands of dollars difference in my life when I looked at it.

Your Jeep doesn’t have much in the way of extras, not that extras really hold their value, but they can add up. Here’s an example:

2012 Supercharged Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, $25k
Maine - 2012 Supercharged Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...

Lower miles, rubicon, supercharger, winch, etc.

P.S. If you get serious about selling I’m looking for another Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thank you for that insight.

For gas, in the past 2 years we have put over 38k miles on it. At first it wasn’t my fault, gotta love brothers right? Well my college is 5ish hours away from home, and right now I nanny (more like slaving away for a 9 year old) while working at a tech solutions company, as well as weekly tutoring and weekend volunteering. Since covid started I have done 4 trips from GA to VA. Driving has turned from 1-2 times after highschool to my “career” filling up 2x a week, 3 if i’m busier. I’m also a frequent visitor to North Ga for hiking about 2 hours away.

Ideally when I sell I am hoping to get a “mom car”, 100% not my style but the 27mpg highway compared to my 13mpg seems beautiful. Other reasons would be more tech features. My parents refuse to pay for mods or upgrades so upgrading all speakers, lifts, tires, even darn rubber floor mats would be costing me more. If I had the money to devote to really customizing my car I wouldn‘t consider selling at all. Additionally, I own a small business and was going to use some for expanding, some for savings, and some for an apartment I will be getting in the next few months.

So my problem is more sentimental than lack of spice truly. I see newer cars that would probably benefit me, but LOVE my jeep and the simplicity it comes with. I hate the cloth interior since I have dogs and an active lifestyle, but I greatly apprecate the powerful ac and the ability to strip her down to nothing when the weather is sunny and above 50 degrees...

#6 ·
You sound like you're young and just starting out with life on your own. You're wanting to make a good decision (a more practical vehicle) but are having a hard time parting with this Jeep. That's understandable, Jeeps are FUN! What they are not, however, is practical. At this point in your life you need a practical, reliable, economical car. Trade the Jeep, get a nice small SUV (like a RAV4 or similar) for now. There'll be plenty of time in the future for another Jeep. One that you'll be able to mod and drive as you see fit.

#7 ·
A simple answer to your question is....it depends. Are you planning on selling yourself or trading it in? Simply put, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you sell your self, you can expect to get somewhere between 19-22K on a national average. Regional influences can sway this one way or another. Rustier vehicles in the north will bring less, rust free southern Jeeps may bring a little more. If you are planning on trading, then it is all a numbers game with the dealer and you may have to do a little extra homework on how the dealer is valuing their vehicle. For example, if they are near wholesale on theirs, you can't expect to get retail out of yours.

I agree you are making a wise decision to purchase a more practical vehicle now which will pay off in the future.

#8 ·
Its simple. You have your whole life to buy another one. Do what you need to do for you today, then do what you can for yourself later. Trade it in, find something fun'ish but that improves mileage and insurance rate. Keep it simple. Expect $17k or so on trade in, $19-20 for private sale based on KBB lookup with a generic Georgia zip code.... since I don't know for sure where you live.

Maybe look at something with a sunroof and that lets your dog enjoy the fresh air, with the windows down, good gas mileage (because with the DNC in control, gas prices will rise like they did with Obama) and better insurance rates. You are in a busy time in your life, lessen the burden by getting what you need with a splash of what you want.

For me, I am still in my JKU instead of a Gladiator becasue my 175lb Great Dane/Bull Mastiff wont fit in a Gladiator. Do what I need to now, do what I want later. My daughter is almost 17, getting ready to buy her first car (saved 15% down on anything up to $25K), and this is the advice I gave to her. Good luck and keep taking your dog for hikes. My rescues dictate my life, but they are worth it.

#9 ·
My advice is if you think you would like a smaller gas efficient vehicle, rent one for a bit. Yes, it will cost you, but if you hate it, you will be $ ahead by not buying one. I remember a long time ago, when I was driving a bigger car, a friend had purchased an econo box that was getting about 25+ mpg. My comment to him at the time was that gas mileage won't make car payments. If you trade out of your Jeep into a small vehicle that you don't like, it will be harder to get back. in.

I deduce from your comments about N. Georgia being about 2 hours away and trips from Georgia to Virginia, that you are somewhere in the middle of Georgia.

You are not your typical college student by any means if you have put 38,000 miles on a vehicle in 2 years. That as much as I was putting on m vehicles when I was working full time (about 60 miles a day to and from the office + at least one trip to Texas - from S. Georgia - and back a year).

Everyting we do in life is a choice of alternatives. Some would point out the expense of keeping a dog adds to your financial outlay, but I would point out that the rewards of the pooch is well worth it. I am reminded of the cost of keeping a dog every time I take one of mine to the vet and also monthly when Chewy delivers sends me the 70 pounds of dog food my two Dobermans go through. But, I think I would give up one of my Jeeps before I gave up my dogs. (I also transport rescues for several Doberman rescue organizations). I'm retired so my dog food outlay most months is more than my gas outlay.

KBB has the private part sale below $19K and the TI below $18K, but they are low and the Jeep is definitely good looking and in good shape (except maybe for the hood). Taking a quick look at online listings in S. Ga/N. Fla for 2013 - 2015 Jeep JKU Sports, they range from $22K to $24K on dealers lots, which means they will most likely sell from $21K to $23K, discount that by about 15% to get TI value. The closer you are to NE Georgia the higher that will be as Jeeps are more in demand in the mountains.

#10 ·
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

#11 ·
Thank you everyone!! You guys just gave the advice my father couldn’t, and they were all so deep/thoughtful I about cried. My parents never asked me to sell and I came to the idea myself which has had me going back and fourth for weeks.
I went and test drove a Mazda Cx-5 today and the first thing I said was “Wow, this is not my Jeep”. I feel like i’m cheating on my car.
We are hoping we can sell my Jeep ourselves to get the most out of it but i’m worried I will have to take a $16-17k trade in value if it doesn’t sell soon enough... Goal is not to spend anything more than what we sell the Jeep for.
And yes I am a very abnormal, semi anti social, college student who drives ALOT. I’m 17, graduated highschool early, and now fill my life with any possible way to clothe, feed, and treat myself without help from the parental figures.
Additionally, the animals, seperate from family pets I have too many and thats another reason why I work. Getting an Australian Shepherd puppy in 2-3 months before summer classes begin and I move into a house! I have sold my soul to house plants and pets.

Hope you all are having a semi good new year. I’m afraid its only going to get worse though...

#13 ·
If you have a very active lifestyle, hard to go wrong with a Subaru. My old Outback is the only vehicle that I think I truly loved even close to as much as my Jeep. It got me to back country fly fishing spots, towed my flats skiff, took the kids camping....really did everything that I do with my Jeep today except tow a pop up trailer and traveling the more challenging off road trails. They hold their value well, are economical and relatively reliable. Plenty of room for kids/dogs/stuff.

#14 ·
If you have a very active lifestyle, hard to go wrong with a Subaru. My old Outback is the only vehicle that I think I truly loved even close to as much as my Jeep. It got me to back country fly fishing spots, towed my flats skiff, took the kids camping....really did everything that I do with my Jeep today except tow a pop up trailer and traveling the more challenging off road trails. They hold their value well, are economical and relatively reliable. Plenty of room for kids/dogs/stuff.
This is a very good point. I would look into a Subaru as well. I have had a few different Subaru vehicles and they are well made, reliable and very capable. At least something to look at when you are considering other options. You should drive different brands and models and see what fits your lifestyle the best and what you are comfortable in. Nothing will be quite like your Jeep but that doesn't mean you can't be happy with another vehicle either.

#20 ·
I’d keep it and shop around for insurance quotes
I think the gas issue and driving is the issue.

With that said, it’s paid off, why not get a cheap econo-box to drive, and keep it? Those Chevy Cruze’s are no fun to drive, but they get 40 mpg and you can throw a rock in any direction and hit one for $5-$6k with an acceptable level of miles on them. Just get liability only (if that is an option in your state) you’ll get a multi-car discount on insurance so it will be really cheap, and just drive it until the wheels fall off, and drive the jeep topless/doorless on the nice days/night locally, and save it from Highway miles.

#22 ·
Obviously you can find something cheaper on gas. As far as insurance goes, when I bought my JKU new I was a little surprised when insurance was cheaper than I expected. I figured with it being convertible and with the safety compared to other new vehicles it would be high. Agent told me with all the cheap parts available they can be rebuilt and fix it cheaper than other vehicles. One thing I have learned is insurance rates range drastically from one state to another so it might not be the same everywhere. I bought a new JKU and my wife has a Dodge Journey (older than the jeep) and the Jeep rate is lower than the Journey. They are on the same policy so drives, coverages, etc. are the same. We have Allstate.

#23 ·
13mpg? Lighten up on the pedal. You can get that to 19 no problem.

But, sounds like you're in love with a paperweight. We all are. It's never going to be a economic option if you're doing a lot of long distance commuting.

I say keep it and buy a cheap Chevy Bolt or Volt. It'll get you mileage, you won't have to finance a whole lot $15k or less, and you can keep your JK.

The Bolt/Volt will pay for itself in fuel savings, and you'll still have your JK.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

#24 ·
If the cost of the gas for the Jeep is causing a budget crunch, adding a car payment instead won't help.

Buying an econobox that gets 20MPG and driving it 12,000 of the 18,000 miles a year she's doing will save about $500 a year. However, easing up on the gas pedal and watching how she drives in town could easily raise her average to 15 MPG and that would save her $400 a year in the Jeep.

OP - plan your in town trips so that you can reduce the in town miles. That's what lowers your average. Plan your gas purchases. Don't just drive into the closest station, look for the lowest prices in your area. I use georgiagasprices.com to check in my area. (Of course when it opens it makes me sick - the lowest price today in Stone Mounting is $1.89, the lowest prices in 31601 near me is $2.19, unless you have a Sam's card an their prices is $2.15, up 13 cents since the 12th when I filled up at $2.03). As you are driving around your area, note the gas prices and become aware of which station is the least expensive. If you are accustomed to paying cash for a lot of things, pay cash for your gas you can many places save a nickle a gallon or more. Watch you gauge and when it gets to half full, fill it up and note how many gallons it takes.

Some people just put $10 or $20 in at a time, I have long had the practice of filling my tank and using my debit card to track expenses. (but then I'm an accountant by trade). I remember in my first car - a VW Bug - I stopped on the way home from school and filled up at 12.9 cents a gallon only to be upset the next morning when I saw a station that had regular for 10.9 cents a gallon - or course that was 55 years ago and Houston had a gas war.

Something a friend clued me into several decades ago is that when gas prices are rising, fill up every opportunity you have, never letting the level get below half a tank - the gas you buy today will be cheaper than the gas you buy tomorrow (we are in that situation right now. When gas prices are falling, go as far as you dare, maybe just a little below 1/4 tank before you fill up because the gas you might buy today will be more expensive than the gas you buy tomorrow.

Now that applies only to the price per gallon, not the miles per gallon. You can raise your MPG by a few items. don't run the Jeep at 75 on the highway, if it is multi lane and you are not in a real hurry, lower your speed to 65 (I usually run 62 on I-75 as it's 3 lanes minimum now in Ga). Every time I see a Jeep pass me doing about 80, I think the gas companies must love them). Don't get into a drag race when the light turns green at an interseciton, but don't make like a turtle either. If you have an alternate route you can go in town that has fewer traffic lights and less traffic, go that way.

My current calculated average MPG in my '17 Chief is a little over 19 MPG (I have 3.73 gearing with the HD towing package) and the average I had on my '15 Sahara with the standard 3.21 gears was over 20 MPG. Granted, I lvie out in the country so I have a few rural miles to get to I-75 and then about 20 miles to town and that helps the mileage. Get in the habit of tracking your mileage, and if you pay cash, get the recipt and note the mileage and gallons. Your a young college student, so you have at least one computer, use the free Google sheets spread sheet. Note the date, mileage and dollars and let the sheet calculate your average per tank and the overall average. If your not filling the tank each time, concentrate on the overall average (I also calculate a 3 tank average in case the pump kicked off early).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.