Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this weekend after thanksgiving, I decided to try the heat gun out on my old, gray, faded fender flares. it turned out to be quite simple and effective at the same time. I did NOT remove the flares. the paint around the edges of the flares was not damaged in the least.. no bubbling or chipping at all. This technique proved itself successful, and I just wanted to show all of you my results. (thought I'd show off the new look a bit too :D)

Basically all I had to do was remove the side marker lens, spray them with the 1000 degree (F) heat gun, put lenses back on.

Below are pictures of what they used to look like, the differences up close, and the end result.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man!
Oh and I forgot to add... I took the front bumper caps off too.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
was just trying to decide if i wanted to heat um up or paint um.... think you made up my mind...... how much work was it really.... did you just have to lick um with the heat a bit or did it requre extensive heating?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My heat gun had two settings: Low (750 degrees F) and High (1,000 degrees F).

It didn't take long at all. Turned black right when the heat hit it on the High setting.
No damage to the paint, but if I were you before I got started, I would remove the plastic side marker to prevent damage to that piece. It comes right off after you disconnect the bulb from it and one screw on the back.
But it was very easy. They turned black in an instant after one sweep with the gun.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
thats what i like to hear...... mine have to come off the jeep anywhoo but i dont have a fancy smancy heat gun so ill be doing it hillbilly style lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's no problem haha but in my opinion.. the heat will last longer than the paint anyways. plus it's less expensive with the heat.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
ya i have to do some body work so im taking the flares off.... think im going give um a good cleaning then kiss um with the torch.... unless i get permission to buy a heatgun lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah my heat gun was only $23 from Home Depot so it's not like a major investment. I bought it specifically to restore my flares.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweet, look forward to seeing them!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I do that with a torch :firedevil:eek:nce a month or so, usually the day I wash it. I've never taken off marker lens, but I also do the stock steps and the front bumper cover where my winch needs to go (bumper jugs were taken off the day I got it home. Now whenever I see other jeepers with gray fenders i just want to do it for them!
Oh also flat black spray paint for frame, under fenders is my friend too.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Anyone who is questioning to paint or heat gun your flairs PLEASE! FOR THE SAKE OF THE NEXT OWNER! HEAT GUN THEM! PO of my jeep painted them and mucked them and the body paint up!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
my beast is gunna get the fenders removed so i can clean up the rust under it then primed then spray bombed over the primer then heat gun the fenders then black rustoleum rate over the rust on the sway bar and some black on the mirror housings that are all gross white looking

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mike1655 said:
I do that with a torch :firedevil:eek:nce a month or so, usually the day I wash it. I've never taken off marker lens, but I also do the stock steps and the front bumper cover where my winch needs to go (bumper jugs were taken off the day I got it home. Now whenever I see other jeepers with gray fenders i just want to do it for them!
Oh also flat black spray paint for frame, under fenders is my friend too.
Sounds like a lot of work but I bet it looks great when you get done with all of that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts