Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my jeep has been sitting in the sun for long periods of time while I've been away at school the past few years, and the paint on my hood has gotten progressively worse. As you can see in the picture the clear coating has gotten pretty terrible, and there are lots of small cracks in the paint all over the hood. I've never done any body/paint work on cars so was hoping to get some guidance on here if possible.

With all of the cracks in the paint I'm sure this is a project that'll require some time and elbow grease, but with the quarantine and all it seemed like an appropriate time to finally do something about this. Any recommendations for how to go about restoring my hood/what products and materials to use would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only way you'll restore that is to repaint it with a good quality base coat/clear coat. These guys are awesome:

Automotive Touchup

They did a great job matching my '97 paint when I painted my fenders/flares. After I polished the rest of the Jeep the paint matches almost perfectly. For a hood on a TJ you don't have to perfectly blend it in due to the harsh body lines.

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts
To do it right, you will have to get down to the metal and come back up with primer, color and clear coat. Remember several thin coats are far better than a thicker coat. I had mine completely repainted two years ago by a restoration shop and the paint was in better shape than yours, but there were many small gravel chips that had started to rust a bit, plus some door dings from parking lot door slammers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts