Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 rubicon going to 35s going to 4.88 gears.

1. Can factory lockers be reused

2. If reused will they be ok with 35s and 4.88

Thanks for input

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
Don't think I'd ever buy a jeep that didn't have a manual or 4.0
That's a shame, us rock crawlers converted to automatics years ago. I converted my previous TJ's 5-speed to an automatic for the benefits it brings to extra-tough trails. Significantly more (up to 2-3x) low-end torque and what is in effect an infinitely low 1st gear ratio means better low-speed crawling. I'd never go back to a manual transmission in my Jeep so long as it's primarily an offroad vehicle.

But to answer your questions yes your Rubicon lockers work fine with 4.88 (I'm running 5.38 with mine) and 4.88 is the ideal ratio for 35" tires and the 5-speed manual transmission. That's the ratio I ran when I was still running the 5-speed manual transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess it depends on how you use it. For technical rock crawling yes but i tow a trailer when i wheel and frequently deep water crossings

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Automatic is the way to go. I really can't understand the draw of a manual. If you have a true granny low manual trans, then manuals are effective..... But I'd still take an automatic.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Automatic is the way to go. I really can't understand the draw of a manual. If you have a true granny low manual trans, then manuals are effective..... But I'd still take an automatic.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I tow and often go through mountains so a manual performs better. I also do a lot of deep water crossings. Has a lot of previous issues with autos falling due to water or mud. Then there is heat factor along with ease of maintenance

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
I tow and often go through mountains so a manual performs better. I also do a lot of deep water crossings. Has a lot of previous issues with autos falling due to water or mud. Then there is heat factor along with ease of maintenance
honestly, thats the old world line of thought. the additional work that needs to be done for an auto is to add a $50 passive trans cooler in front of the radiator. the extra maint is disconnect one of the hoses by the radiator to complete a trans flush when necessary. sounds a lot cheaper and easier than replacing a clutch. as to the water and mud, both auto and trans jeeps have several breather lines that need to be extended above the deepest intended water line.

IIRC, certain jeep manuals can suck in mud/water if submerged and the clutch is disengaged. but that may have been older models.

either way, the jeep is more than capable of doing your intended purpose no matter the trans

1 - 14 of 14 Posts