Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...exploring ideas in getting a reverse camera for my jeep. I don't have the 430 or the 7xx unit. Just the regular 130.

Any have ideas on what/how I could run a camera with a smallish tv running full time ON??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep, if your 130 has a touch screen you buy a lockpick. That will allow you to use a backup camera. If you don't have a touch screen then you will have to use another small monitor. Some have them in the backup mirror and others have them like a GPS screen type thing.

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
Bought a tiny one on amazon and two cameras for under $50. Mounted it over the reader view through the plastic trim piece one is always in as a baby monitor the other is switched for reverse

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
No it's been about three years. But here are some pictures
The monitor is from Pyle. Cameras are no name
Power is from the battery to a relay for switched. Used the heated seats slot for the relay. Runs to a fused block to power the monitor two cameras and my cell dock and GPS. Installed the fuse block below the wheel on the removable plastic plate below the trim panel

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like that reverse camera / monitor idea without a nav screen. I am still researching creative ways to install a reverse camera on my 2004 accord( non nav).

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I ordered my Wrangler with a 130, and new I would replace the HU with a 430rbz (non-nav) from ebay right away.

One of the best "mods" I have done. If you get the right unit, the whole thing takes about 25 minutes to swap first time through. If you have removed the HU before, it will take about 15 minutes to swap.

Just another option to consider. I paid about $260 for my RBZ (shipped...but I found a pretty good deal).

100% plug and play. I also added Lockpick V.5

·
Registered
991 Posts
I am adding mine now (the lcd should be in next week).

my plan?
Bought this camera:
Amazon.com : HDE E336 Waterproof Rear Vehicle Backup Camera With 170 degree Viewing Angle : Back Up Car Camera : Car Electronics

Bought the Daystar upper dash panel with cell phone/gps holder.
Amazon.com: Daystar KJ71047BK Dash Panel with GPS: Automotive

Bought this LCD:
Amazon.com : 4.3 Inch LCD TFT Rearview Monitor screen for Car Backup Camera : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

Mounted the camera to the top of my hitch cover ( I have no plans to pull anything any time soon). This way is up out of the way, and can easily be quick disconneded if I need to.

Ran the video cable up the driver side (should have done passenger but not moving it now) and up to the head unit. Going to cut a small notch in the back of the dash to feed the wires in.

Going to wire the lcd into the keyed 12v power in dash.

Was originally going to wire camera into backup lights on drivers side, but now thinking of pushing power to the 12v outlet in back (if I move the fuse and change it to switched power) so I can always have rear view camera on. Might help with blind spots while driving :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
KC, how is your project coming along? Any updates?
Spank, the 3.5" screen... Is it big enough? How is the picture quality?
I'm looking to mount a camera in the front and in the back.

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
For my purposes it works fine. I can see the hitch ball wheel hooking a trailer and I can see my daughter perfectly while driving. The screen is way bigger then my first dozen phones!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sorry, forgot to follow up :)

I like the quality of the lcd.
I like the quality of the camera.
Having the ability to plug into the 12v and have it on all the time was over rated. Even if it was easier when I installed it. Didnt see a need to have it that way.
I also didnt like the camera view from that low so I moved it up to the middle of the spare tire. I drilled the 2 holes into the plastic cover on my spare and the camera is mounted just below the hub. I like its position much better.

I wasn't careful with the placement so I cant really use the the guidelines like I would like to, so I may end up fixing that later.

I also wired into the backup lights and it is fine, the slight delay is no big deal to me.

Since then I have also added a 430N so I will most likely wire it into the 430n. Till then I will use the little LCD.

I am not overly happy with the Daystar dash mount. I saw the Rugged Ridge shortly after I got the Daystar and I wish I would have seen it first. I like the idea of the camera piece on the front of the RR and would think about having the camera - maybe even for daily driving...

I did end up replacing the cell holder part of the daystar - it was so bad. The parts that hold the phone kept sliding out and it was annoying. I relaced it with:
Amazon.com: iBOLT xProDock Active Car Dock/Holder/Mount for Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 & Note 2. Works with ALL cases. USB cable for charging.: Cell Phones & Accessories

This one is big enough to hold my note 3 (even with a case) and has a charger built in. overkill for the lcd, but it will work with my phone when I start to use the 430n for video. This one also fits the Daystar ball with no adjustments.

Hope this info helps

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
I just upgraded to the boyo in mirror monitor. Got it for $65 on Amazon. Awesome video quality. Nice to mount but a little dark as a mirror. OEM tint makes it tough to see it the back at night

1 - 13 of 13 Posts