Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright jeep peeps want your thoughts on a possible heat solution. I am fairly new to the jeep world and forum and was not aware of the heater core issues. As in my sig I bought an 08 JKU a few months back..my first jeep and I love it. The weather turned just after I got it so no top down or naked yet but am sooo looking forward to it. Starting down the mod path when the temps changed and very little heat on the drivers side. Read the forum and looked at all the threads on the heater cores.

Now on to my question. I back flushed the heater core and even put some radiator cleaner in it and left it set for 30 minutes and then reversed flushed/ flushed about 5 times. I got a few small black specks out of the heater core but the fluid etc. looked fine...no sand gunk etc. and my radiator cap looks good. There might be a little in the overflow but it was too cold to mess with. I got a little more heat out of my driver side but nothing like what is coming out of the passenger side. So I got to thinking about it and was wondering if it would hurt anything to purchase some additional hose and hook up the heater core backwards to continually back flush the unit and possibly flush it out. I will do a complete flush once the weather warms up but in the mean time thought I might try this. What are your thoughts? Would it hurt anything? I really don't want to pay for the heater core install and I don't have any extended warranty. I really like the jeep other than that but driving without very much heat sucks and I don't want to do too many mods if this doesn't work out and I sell it and go for another one.

Sorry for the essay but want to gather your input.:beerme::worthy::awesome:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know if that would be OK or not, I couldn't see where you'd run into a problem,

How long did you flush the heater core, I reversed flush my dodge Dakota heater core for about 20 mins and it was hotter then hell after and before that it was like the AC was on.

I also kept kinking the hose to shock it with water pressure so to speak

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reverse flushed and then flushed it out and then put the radiator cleaner in it and left it sit for 30 minutes. I then reverse flushed/ flushed an additional 5 times. I filled up a 5 gallon bucket before I finished. I did not want the neighbors to complain (we recently moved states for my job and moved into a subdivision) so I tried to capture all of the fluid instead of letting it go down the drive and into the street/ storm drain. I plan on when the weather gets better to drain and clean the entire system and run the radiator cleaner several days with distilled water to really clean out everything but in the mean time thought about switching the lines and seeing if that would clear it up over time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know this is kind of an old thread, but did you ever back flow the heater core hoses? If so, what was the outcome? I have done several back flushes in the past couple months with little to no luck and I am not able to replace the core right now.

I had similar outcomes with a couple of specks of sediment coming out after a few chemical flushes, but no geyser of crud like some people get. Last year I did a complete system flush when I found about an inch of sand in my overflow. Still no effect.

Any info would be great! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately Ranger the back flush did not work for me and I did have to replace the heater core. I had a local dealership do it for me and cost $1300 to get it done. It has been working fine since and I am enjoying my sun scorching Jeep heat. Sorry I don't have better news but it was worth it to me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Kohrn, sorry to hear that. I know I will be shelling out the dough soon.

I had a little luck with switching the inlet and outlet hoses. I switched the houses going to the thermostat housing and water pump to basically reverse the flow in the core. I kept it that way for a month or so and gained about 10 degrees in the left-most vent. Hoping that loosened some crud, I had a full system flush today and I gained 40 degrees! The left vent is still much cooler than the middle, but it was a definite improvement.

I know it only prolongs the inevitable, but if it buys me a little time, then I consider it a small win.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did. Also didn't do much. Must be some tough crud clogging mine. I left CLR soak in mine for over and hour and "high" pressure back flow spit like 5 little specks of sand. Also did white vinegar after that with the same outcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts