Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this thread has been started 135683 times but I have never found the answer I am looking for. My 4 in lifted Tj with sye and driveshaft grinds, NOT when shifting but when I actually start to move and while in reverse. It is extremely irritating and I cant figure out how to make it stop. It makes the jeep sound like a junker and I want to fix it. Advice?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Are you certain it's all the way into reverse and not partially engaged because the shifter is hitting the console.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It hits the on the front under the radio in first gear just barely because the original guy who lifted it dropped the tranny and had the shifter bent forward. Tranny isn't dropped anymore, could that be part of the problem but as far as I can tell it doesn't hit anything when in reverse

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I would take the boot off and actually watch to see if it is going completely in gear.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It definitely looks like it is going in all the way. I just don't understand why it would be grinding? Come to think of it when I had a new rear end (axle, 4.56 gears) put in a year or so ago is when I really first began to notice it grinding. This really is maddening, oh and the grinding gets louder the faster/further I try to move while in reverse

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone else had this happening? I thought maybe it could be the synchros or something but none in reverse on ax-15 trans. Im 18 this jeep gonna be with me for the long haul, and I'd rather fix the problem now then later.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still haven't figured this out. I may just do a rebuild because it is amazingly irritating to grind in reverse. It happens every-time I move while in reverse. I can make it less by just barely letting out the Clutch with a little more gas then pushing clutch back in quickly to get slow movement. Nobody else knows about this?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Compare yours with another TJ? Reverse gears are loud...

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it started after you had it regeared they probably didnt set the pinion depth correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts