Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to get a brighter bulb for my reverse lights. I have stock brake lights and don’t want to change that look. (2010) I’m thinking an LED. Any recommendations out there? Thanks

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'd find out what number the regular bulb is then look up what the LED replacement is. I agree, anything would have to be better than the stock one but I replaced the whole tail light assembly with an LED kit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd find out what number the regular bulb is then look up what the LED replacement is. I agree, anything would have to be better than the stock one but I replaced the whole tail light assembly with an LED kit.
Yea, I’ll just find one that also has the same wattage as the stock as well. I don’t want to get something and it cause issues electrically or melt something.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yea, I’ll just find one that also has the same wattage as the stock as well. I don’t want to get something and it cause issues electrically or melt something.
I wouldn't worry so much about wattage as LEDs draw way more current than incandescent. Just get one built to replace the stock one with the same base.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I went with precision LEDs after reading about them on this forum. Better than oem incandescent bulbs but instill thought it was dark back there. Today I added 2 small kc led backup lights to fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nothing will come close to mounting a set of backup lights. I added a set of cheap flush mount Ebay LED's in my rear bumper. I just wired them into the OEM backup lights. As mentioned, LED's draw way less than conventional bulbs so there are no issues.

JK31 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr

Reactions: boosthead

·
Registered
600 Posts
In VA we have an annual safety inspection. They have become very picky about aftermarket lighting. I like Wandell's solution and was originally looking at mounting an led under the bumper. Wondering if anyone has had issues with state inspections with additional backup lights?

Nothing will come close to mounting a set of backup lights. I added a set of cheap flush mount Ebay LED's in my rear bumper. I just wired them into the OEM backup lights. As mentioned, LED's draw way less than conventional bulbs so there are no issues.

JK31 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr

·
Registered
363 Posts
In VA we have an annual safety inspection. They have become very picky about aftermarket lighting. I like Wandell's solution and was originally looking at mounting an led under the bumper. Wondering if anyone has had issues with state inspections with additional backup lights?
I am interested in this, too, because I am in the process of adding two small LED bars under the rear bumper as backup lights. But my state inspection is coming up soon and I don't want to run into trouble.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I put in the Sylvania Zevo super bright LED bulb replacements in my wife's KJ for brake and reverse lights and was pretty impressed with their output. I'll probably use the same in my JK when a replacement is needed. They're straight replacements for factory bulb socket and available at most local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I am interested in this, too, because I am in the process of adding two small LED bars under the rear bumper as backup lights. But my state inspection is coming up soon and I don't want to run into trouble.
If they're wired to come on only when in reverse, I don't see how it'd be a problem.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts

I am also in Virginia, and at my last inspection, they told me that "those extra backup lights are technically illegal, but we will pass you anyway". He explained that he understood that they helped visibility out the back, but did say that they are illegal in Virginia. I haven't been able to find anything that actually says that in the vehicle code, though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am also in Virginia, and at my last inspection, they told me that "those extra backup lights are technically illegal, but we will pass you anyway". He explained that he understood that they helped visibility out the back, but did say that they are illegal in Virginia. I haven't been able to find anything that actually says that in the vehicle code, though.

Glad I’m in GA where anything goes. Lights everywhere doors off wheels sticking out past fenders. Shoot lots of the highly modded jeeps have not fenders.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I bought the same lights as the previous poster (Cummins Powered) with the amazon link. However, these are currently unavailable.

Superbrightleds make great products with long warranties, so I woul d suggest them next.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...unction-27-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit/3557/

Biggest thing you have to watch is the length of the bulb. There’s not much room in there, so not all bulbs will fit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Usually what makes extra back up lights illegal is the number of back up lights. When I inspect a vehicle in Canada it can only have a maximum of 3 lights operated by the gearshift. Probably the same specs down there. My extra back up lights mounted in my bumper are on a separate switch and therefor "work" lights. Extra bright may be an issue too but that's what we all want.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Glad I’m in GA where anything goes. Lights everywhere doors off wheels sticking out past fenders. Shoot lots of the highly modded jeeps have not fenders.

Yep, we're a little more laid back in Ga. If inspection is that uptight, you could simply wire in a switch or disconnect the wiring to the aftermarket lights.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I like the idea of having the extra lights wired to the reverse lights rather than on a separate switch. Also, I have failed inspection in the past when a set of lights were installed but not working. The inspector told me that if they were on the vehicle, they had to work. Clearly, different shops have different interpretations and some will pass an item while others will fail it.

I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm still up in the air on which option to pursue but have better info to consider thanks to you all.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I like the idea of having the extra lights wired to the reverse lights rather than on a separate switch. Also, I have failed inspection in the past when a set of lights were installed but not working. The inspector told me that if they were on the vehicle, they had to work. Clearly, different shops have different interpretations and some will pass an item while others will fail it.

I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm still up in the air on which option to pursue but have better info to consider thanks to you all.
My auxiliary back-up lights work off the reverse light harness but can also be turned on via switch. If I were concerned about passing inspection I could simply unplug them from the reverse harness and they would then be "work lights" only.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts