Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've only had my 2015 JKUS for about a week, and when parallel parking last night, realized that I couldn't see anything behind me. I attempted to search the forum, and found lots on replacing the entire light socket/unit for LEDs. Not sure I'm ready to pull that plug just yet though, and was wondering if anyone had any success on just replacing the bulb itself for one a little brighter.

I'm not very car savvy, but it seems like I could buy any 3157 compatible bulb to swap out? Any particular brands that are better/brighter?

If I'm totally off base, please set me straight! I love to tinker and I'm quick to learn, but admittedly when it comes to cars, I've only ever filled my gas tank and washer fluid before owning a Jeep :hide: Trying to change that though! :)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Anyone having issues using LEDs? I ask as I have heard other vehicles are sensitive to the use of LEDs. Not exactly sure why (voltage, interference, etc.). I am thinking of order the ones from Amazon as well.

From Amazon:

"These are not canbus. So no resistors inside. If the lights start flickering you will need to purchase some resistors."

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I attempted to search the forum, and found lots on replacing the entire light socket/unit for LEDs. Not sure I'm ready to pull that plug just yet though, and was wondering if anyone had any success on just replacing the bulb itself for one a little brighter.
There are many LED "bulbs" that simply plug in, in place of the standard bulb. No other changes required.

Personally, I got LED "bulbs" that are 80watt equivalent. They have a built-in lens to focus as much light straight back as possible. Much, much brighter than stock.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Anyone having issues using LEDs? I ask as I have heard other vehicles are sensitive to the use of LEDs. Not exactly sure why (voltage, interference, etc.). I am thinking of order the ones from Amazon as well.

From Amazon:

I have seen people have issues when they replace the turn signal bulbs with LEDs, the Canbus thinks you have a bulb out because of the low resistance and they will blink quickly and your dash will indicate a bulb is out. But I have not had any issues with the reverse lights being LED.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not all the lights have supervision or reduced power PWM. The reverse lights do not. You can replace them with whatever you want without any ill-effects. I ordered those LED as well. Anxiously awaiting their arrival later this week.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Wow..those bulbs are super bright. Gotta try them. Anyone has any problems installing these in 2015?
I did this weekend. First time, the lights didn't light up on reverse. I then swapped them, and they worked. Not sure what the science is behind that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts