Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my truck back from the lift and it looks great but the reverse lights are not working for see reason. On the message boards it seems that there is a switch or plug that may need to be replaced on the driver side if the transmission but I can not find this mysterious piece.

Anyone have a pic, suggestion, video, DIY pointer??

Also, anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks guys

-Mike

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If it is an automatic transmission (on a 2000), it is part of the park/neutral position switch and it's located on the drivers side just above the oil pan and about in the center of the oil pan (front to back) it faces at about a 45 degree angle towards the back and is at the base of the gear selector lever. Before you get into all that, check fuse #7 (10 amp) in the fuse box behind the glove box.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the lack of details.

It is a 2000 manual sahara built in 9/1999.

I found the switch but I now have no idea of how to remove it. A wrench does not fit into the space around the bolt portion of it and I can't fit a socket around it because of the wire. I think it is nice and rusted as well.....

·
Registered
358 Posts
You have to use a open end wrench or to use a socket you need to cut off the SWITCH wires which will allow you to get a socket on it and to reinstall you have to use the wrench because you dont want to cut the wire off your new switch. PS you may need to modify the wrench. But I have done it with a socket and a ratchet before to get it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm fighting the same issue but on my 2000 Wrangler manual trans., there is some sort of linkage right in the way of being able to get a socket over the switch. Any idea on that? Also does not seem to allow a wrench to fit in there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You have to use a open end wrench or to use a socket you need to cut off the SWITCH wires which will allow you to get a socket on it and to reinstall you have to use the wrench because you dont want to cut the wire off your new switch. PS you may need to modify the wrench. But I have done it with a socket and a ratchet before to get it off.
Cant say enough good things about PB blaster. Give it a couple squirts, let it soak, repeat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts