Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is a weird one for you. I have a 2017 Wrangler Sport. I got it about 4 months ago and immediately put a hitch with a wiring harness on it. When I installed it I made sure running lights, brakes and turn signals worked and they did. I never thought to test reverse lights, but assumed they worked.

Well I just had my Jeep in at Discount Tire for tires and wheels and they asked me if I disabled my reverse lights. Confused I said no and they pointed out that they don't work.

I got home and took the light off to check if the harness had come disconnected and it hadn't. I then disconnected the harness and connected everything to OEM and the reverse light still doesn't work. I checked the fuses M31 (reverse lamps) and M2 (trailer light) and both looked good.

Any other ideas? Maybe a switch? The vehicle is obviously under warranty so I might just remove the hitch harness and take it in to have it figured out.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Bulbs? Are you getting power to the reverse lamps? Mine came wired up from the factory behind the drivers tail lamp. Could look there...

Steve

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Test for voltage in the bulb socket. May be polarized, so check both sides of the connector to ground. Also, if no power, pull those fuses and use the the tester to verify continuity.

It's sounding like you may have inadvertently disabled your backup light circuit during the trailer harness install. I'm really not sure how. Keep looking, you will find it.

Steve

Reactions: woliver24

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Get yourself a handy 12v circuit tester. Most have a sharp pointed probe so you can pierce the insulation of a wire, a bulb in the handle and a clip for the ground connection. All you interested in is the wire hot when it is supposed to be.

Here is an example. Local auto parts store should have one, but may be a little more expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Professional...1497646767&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+circuit+tester

I'm wrong. NAPA has one even less expensive.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769070

I have two in my tool box for I missplaced the older one for a while

In this case, just clip the one end to a ground and touch the probe to the contacts. On the older vehicles with the 1156 bulbs the center contact is the hot (+12v) connection when the vehicle is in reverse and the ignition on. On the JK they have the newer plastic based 3157 bulbs with the contacts on the side. I may be easier to probe the wire when the Jeep is in reverse and ignition on (engine off).

If there is no current in the wire and the dealer is handy and you have the time, I would not fool with it, just take it to the dealer. If you have power in the wire, then either the bulb is bad or the ground is bad, but since both are out it is most likely the reverse switch.

Reactions: woliver24

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ive got a similar issue. Just purchased a preowned 2011. Smoke LED Tail lights. I noticed the Reverse lights didn't work, the Brake lights came on for the running lights. And the running lights were coming on when I hit the brakes. we took them off and were able to rewire and get the running lights and brakes swapped so they work correctly now. But still no reverse lights.

We were able to play around and at least see that the reverse lights do come on and the bulbs work but haven't been able to figure out how to get them to come on when the jeep goes into reverse.

Any help?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you ever get your reverse lights issue solved? I’m having an issue where my reverse lights are not turning on when in reverse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts