Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

I am trying to hook up some rear bumper lights to go on when I am in reverse as well as hook into my Switch Pro so I can turn them on whenever. I am sure I can find how to hook into the reverse lights, but not exactly clear on how to add in the Switch Pro to the mix and not back feed the system etc. I know enough about writing to know that I don’t know enough about wiring.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You'll either need to add diodes to the wires that go from your bumper lights to the reverse lights to prevent the current from going that way. Or, get a double pole, single throw switch. Basically that switch would act as a selector allowing you to choose between reverse or anytime. The problem with that is you'll have to run a wire from your stock backup lights to the switch along with another wire from your second source, then one wire back to the bumper lights. I have lights in my bumper and just turn them on from my sPOD-like device when I need/want them. Lots easier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll either need to add diodes to the wires that go from your bumper lights to the reverse lights to prevent the current from going that way. Or, get a double pole, single throw switch. Basically that switch would act as a selector allowing you to choose between reverse or anytime. The problem with that is you'll have to run a wire from your stock backup lights to the switch along with another wire from your second source, then one wire back to the bumper lights. I have lights in my bumper and just turn them on from my sPOD-like device when I need/want them. Lots easier.
Thank you. I think you talked me out of it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I purchased a new rear bumper (go go Black Friday sales!) which had integrated LEDs. I was in a similar situation as you with the exception of no Switch Pro. I wanted the lights to come on when put into reverse as well as have the ability to turn it on manually when needed.

I ultimately decided to go with a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) ON-OFF-ON switch to accomplish this. I purchased the following wiring harness & switch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMWV3KG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNNWW8H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I didn't have any other auxiliary lights so I put in a Rugged Ridge A-pillar mount and mounted the switch. I ran all wiring through the Jeep under the trim and within the dash. Ultimately I decided I wanted to power the switch using the 12V cigarette power. So one ON has the lights tied into reverse. The other ON is manually on and the OFF position prevents the lights from coming on, including when in reverse.

Here's some pictures on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B51h0nhHNkW/

I am far from any type of wiring expert but read up a lot (and watch a number of YouTube videos) to get different ideas and this is what I liked the most. I'm sure you can wire it through the switch pro, but you'll likely need another relay in the circuit and some of that is beyond my knowledge. I'll be interested to see how it goes though. Good luck!

·
Registered
336 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts