Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my JKU earlier this year, I was told it would have a MOPAR headliner in it. On delivery... nope, not there. But I didn't pay for it either. So, I looked around and though this was not the least expensive, this IMO, is the best looking and had outstanding reviews.

Ordering it was easy. Excellent tutorial on their website hotheadheadliner.com and clearly a true mom and pop shop. My kind of place. 5-7 days to ship is normal, and mine I think was 5 business days.

Arrived in a most excellent shipping box.

I purchased two products.

1. Sound Assassin. This is a very sturdy and very sticky heavy duty rubber/silicone (my best guess) that goes in the front to back grooves in all four of the panel areas. The kit comes with 17 - 20" x 2" strips. I think the primary idea is to reduce the noise in the gap that would be created between the roof and the panels. Easy to install. About 25 minutes for everything.

2. 2007-2016 JK 4 door/ 4 panel roof liner. In essence, these are reasonably sturdy with decent bend to them. That is wrapped with thermal blanket which is glued into place and then a very nice cloth material. I chose black to go with my completely black interior.

Only thing that baffled me was this. One corner not covered... I am thinking that the SAT antennae might be above this section?

The best part was the test drive. Took it up to 70mph and it was tremendously different. Alpine sounded crisper. Exterior and wind noise was easily 4-6db lower. Huge difference for long distance trips I think.

In the end, $289 with free shipping and a very nicely made product from a Made in the USA mom and pop joint? Definitely recommend Hothead over the others.

EDIT: So now Google Pics wont work on the site either? They did before...

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Great to hear. Mine arrived yesterday. I installed the sound assasin before work today, the headliner will be tomorrow.

The thing that blew my mind was the way he packaged it. Very well thought out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shipping packaging was minimized in a good way. Thorough and not a mark on it when it arrived. Beginning to think UPS has some lazy ass people working there. My UPS boxes always look like hell. Install of panels is easy. Middle one took a bit of working but it went in.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Only thing that baffled me was this. One corner not covered... I am thinking that the SAT antennae might be above this section?
Yep. The aluminum is cut out for the SAT antenna. Good mod, IMO.

I also liked the shipping. They did a great job.

My only issue now is the placement of the adhesive strips for the rear piece. All of the other panels mounted well except for this one. It kept flopping down so finally just removed it entirely.

Before installing, I wiped down the top with isopropanol and waited a few minutes. The front two pieces and the middle piece have held up well.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave everything a good scuffing with the included sandpaper. just front to back twice in every gutter and the larger spaces in between. So far so good. I'd ask if it was warm enough, but Im sure our weather is identical! I'm in the LBK.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I gave everything a good scuffing with the included sandpaper. just front to back twice in every gutter and the larger spaces in between. So far so good. I'd ask if it was warm enough, but Im sure our weather is identical! I'm in the LBK.

Oh damn, lived there for 5 years!

I'm excited to get mine slapped up today. Finally have a day off from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did it mid day in the sun. Having the top hot I think really makes a difference. Make sure to scuff it all with the sandpaper.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just a "heads" up lol, you forgot the s at the end in your original link. hotheadheadliners.com But great review, thanks. Interested to see how they hold up I'm extreme temps and how long.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
Jeep JL & Jeep Gladiator
69 Posts
Hothead Headliners installation

Yep. The aluminum is cut out for the SAT antenna. Good mod, IMO.

I also liked the shipping. They did a great job.

My only issue now is the placement of the adhesive strips for the rear piece. All of the other panels mounted well except for this one. It kept flopping down so finally just removed it entirely.

Before installing, I wiped down the top with isopropanol and waited a few minutes. The front two pieces and the middle piece have held up well.
I'm sorry that you are having an issue with your rear panel. If you contact us I will fix that issue by sending you new 3M tape so you can replace the tape & reinstall the panel.
When installing Hothead Headliners you MUST scuff the top with the sand paper we provide (this does not leave any visible marks on your hard top) & clean your hard top with acetone (not alcohol).
I'm not sure if I can put our phone number 714-872-2071
If it's not there just go to our web site and contact us that way.
best regards,
Mark
Hothead Headliners

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Are you sure you grabbed the correct url for your photos?
If I try to open them in a new window the url gives me a 404 error and it doesn't end in .jpg or anything like that.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
I'm sorry that you are having an issue with your rear panel. If you contact us I will fix that issue by sending you new 3M tape so you can replace the tape & reinstall the panel.
When installing Hothead Headliners you MUST scuff the top with the sand paper we provide (this does not leave any visible marks on your hard top) & clean your hard top with acetone (not alcohol).
best regards,
Mark
Hothead Headliners
No worries dude. It's all on me. The strips that came with the parts were fine. There is only so much you can do as a manufacturer.

Love the parts, just need to reinstall the rear headliner more better the next time I take the top off.

I'll clean it up again and run a roller over the strips. Thanks for the offer though, appreciate it.

Have no bad words about your product, thanks for making them!

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a set of these in the shop waiting to be installed. I'm hoping I have enough time this week to take care of it.
In all honesty, 60 minutes start to finish.

Reactions: spotco2

·
Registered
253 Posts
It was in the 90's when I put them in. The parts were very well made and the install of the Sound Assassin strips and panels was effortless for the most part. The panels changed the complete look of the inside of the Jeep and made it look finished. They do a great job of reducing the heat inside as well as the noise.

I did NOT purchase the side panels but may do so in the future.

A couple of things. The Sound Assassin stips were either 1 short or I was supposed to cut 1 in half for the outter sides of the rear panel. That's what I did at least so I had even coverage. Also one side of the rear panel did not want to stick very well and felt almost like it was hitting the side and holding it off. It's very possible it was just not aligned properly on the other side, but I just took a piece of heavy cardboard the same length as the tape strip and wedged a long box under it pressing on the tape strip for a couple of hours in the sun. It seems to be holding well.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the product.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Any testing done by anyone to see how much the sound assassin helps with noise? I saw the cymbal test on the website.

·
Registered
88 Posts

best regards,

Mark

Hothead Headliners

Do you recommend a certain temperature to install the headliners? Now that winter is quickly approaching do you suggest waiting until the spring or a warmer day to install? I know adhesive has a more difficult time sticking when on a cold surface.

'18 Wrangler Unlimited Recon (10/28/2017)

·
Vendor
Jeep JL & Jeep Gladiator
69 Posts
Hothead Headliners installation

Do you recommend a certain temperature to install the headliners? Now that winter is quickly approaching do you suggest waiting until the spring or a warmer day to install? I know adhesive has a more difficult time sticking when on a cold surface.

'18 Wrangler Unlimited Recon (10/28/2017)
The 3M VHB tape we use for our headliners works best in when it's hot, so the hotter your hard top is the better. I realize that a lot of times the outside temp doesn't make that possible. In those time we recommend doing all of the scuffing & clean of your hard top first. Next if possible remove the freedom panels and install in doors letting the hard top & headliner panels warm up before installing. Next put the freedom panels back on, lay a couple packing, or other blankets, over the top of the hard top. Lay the headliners panels on the seats and run your heater on high for about 15 minutes until everything is nice & warm. Now you can install your headliner panels and be sure to push up as firmly as possible.
We have hard top prep & install videos on our web site, Hothead Headliners, and as always you can call or email if you have any questions, concerns or issues.
[email protected]
714-872-2071
Happy Thanksgiving
Mark
Hothead Headliners

1 - 20 of 33 Posts