Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised here is my review of the Odyssey Battery 20A Portable Charger, OBC-20A.

In this thread; http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/odyssey-extreme-battery-any-negatives-1810977-4.html

We got to talking about battery chargers and there was some confusing regarding what battery charger to get for this battery (PC1500). The Odyssey information is kinda all over the map. What drove me to choose this charger though was reading the technical data for the Odyssey batteries. In this data it recommends a charger that has a charge voltage of 14-15 volts, the OBC-20A provides 14.7 volts. The other charger talk about was the CTEK 25000, it provides 15.8 volts.

Anyway I got the charger yesterday and unpacked it. It looks and feels well built, all the cables are 6 feet long and wrap nicely around the charger when not in use. It weighs 6.5 lbs and is 9.25Hx13.75Wx3.88D. The charger is a 6 stage fully automatic charger and is only for use with Flooded or AGM type batteries.

I have a dual battery setup and for this first use I decided charge each battery individually. I also don't have the PC1500 I have the Diehard Platinum clones. I disconnected the aux battery from the circuit and charged it up over night. This morning it indicated that the battery is fully charged so I hooked up main battery to the charger (about 2 hours ago. It as already completed the test and charge stage and is in the conditioning stage.

The aux battery was sitting at 12.7 volts prior to charging it. 100% charge on this battery is 12.84 volts per the specs. After letting the battery sit for a couple of hours after removing the charger it reads 13.1 volts. I'll report out on the main battery later today.

So far I am happy with this purchase. It was about $50 less than the CTECK but there are still some outstanding concerns. The main one being can I charge both batteries at the same time? That will be the next test somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Good review. In regards to that CTEK, the normal charging voltage is not 15.8v. It is an 8 step charger that charges at 14.4v and 25A in normal mode. It does provide 15.8v but only in recondition mode at 1.5A.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I got busy and never got back to this post. Main battery was at 12.5 prior to charging. When complete, 13.26. I'll post back when I attempt to charge both batteries at the same time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It will work...

The Odyssey recommendation in their charger literature is up to 100 AH rating for non-cyclic applications with the OBC-20A charger. Two of those Group 34 Platinum's or 34-PC1500's in parallel are about 136AH total (~68AH each).

It exceeds their recomendation, but will work fine -- It just takes longer.

I have the OBC-20A as well as the CTEK 25000 and have used them on even larger dual batteries in my old diesel pickup (74AH each, 148AH total).

:happyyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts