Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's up guys, i recently used some rust o elum the revive my flares to black from it fading so much, and it turned out like crap, and was just curious is there a way to remove that spray paint i already did, somebody suggest paint thinner but it didn't do anything, or i was going to buy some plasti-dip or krylon fusion for plastic and go over it and didn't know if that would help make it look better or not, just curious on which way i could go

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would suggest plastidip. I used it for my mirrors because they were flaking and looked horrible. I did 3 or 4 coats I believe, and they look 100% better. Do nice even coats and if you mess it up peel it off and start over. Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
I plan on spraying my flares with plastidip. I bought a can today and experimented on the plastic cover between the grill and bumper (I don't know what that thing is called). It turned out awesome. I sprayed it with 3 coats and it looks like new. Minimal prep and great results. I plan in painting the flares tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Dont spray anything until you get that crap off of it. Use thinner or mineral spirits to remove the stuff you just put on it. If you spray over the other stuff it will likely start flaking off and look even worse. Sorry for being so blunt but I dont want you to make the same mistake I made.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
hmm after reading your post again it does say you tried it already >< sorry. If anything I would try the plasti-dip cause it will not flake. It may separate from the flare after a while due to the paint under it flaking but in that case just peel it off and do it again. Although we are probably talking years from now with the plasti-dip. Just a hint when using the stuff, go way overboard with it, you can never use too much.

·
Registered
941 Posts
CaptTats813 said:
That's just it, it's not coming off I bought paint thinner already
Rust-oleum is premium paint and won't come off easily once cured. I suggest some water paper and get sanding. It should take no more than an hour to sand all 4.

Can I ask why it came out crap? I have used plenty of different kinds of it on many different things and have always been extremely happy.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
600 grit wet sand paper to get the stuff off. Keep the paper as flat as possible, you dont want to sand any grooves into the flares. Also have a spray bottle or hose near at hand. Keep the paper wet and wash off the old paint using the hose frequently. Hope it all comes out well for you. BTW the plasti-dip will not cover those paint drips you will still see them if you do9nt sand them down first.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i agree with the sanding votes. just dont go too rough. i did. thought the rattle can bed liner i used would fill it back in and give it more to stick too. it may stick better but their still rough as a cob. doesnt look real bad, but not what i was going for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i agree with the sanding votes. just dont go too rough. i did. thought the rattle can bed liner i used would fill it back in and give it more to stick too. it may stick better but their still rough as a cob. doesnt look real bad, but not what i was going for.

how did the rattle can bed liner work on your flares? Did you have to sand them first?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just plasti dipped everything this past weekend turned out 100% better thanks for all the help and advice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts