Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
securing new parts for my rig, want to get these ordered up. have heard revolution shafts are a safe bet, but can anyone tell me the difference between the discovery series and the US made units? both claim to be same material, same u-joints. are the discovery's not US made, what's the extra $ buying me?? will the 27spl discovery's in a D30 run 35's safely on moderate trails? sorry if this is a redundant subject, but my searches didn't turn up much. and the 300$ difference is a few new shocks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Imported Discovery shafts have a 10 year warranty, their Los Angeles forged shafts have a lifetime warranty. The 27 splne RGA alloy Dana 30 shafts will be fine with 35's. I ran Warn's equivalent in my previous TJ's locked Dana 30 with 35's without problem rock crawling on some basically very extreme trails. I'm running RGA shafts in the rear of my TJ with Superior Axle Evolution shafts up front in my current TJ.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very good , thanx again....... im guessin if they back it for 10yrs it not junk, and at my age 10 is lifetime, so maybe i'll make sure I spend the savings on something US made. that 300$ diff is an arb pump or tranny cooler or shocks

·
Registered
604 Posts
Also, I don't think RGA offers a US made axle option for the D35 rear (as they do for the D30 front). Unless it changed in the last few months the Discovery Series (imported) hardened Super 35 axle is all they have for the D35. Last I checked the US made rear axles started with the D44

Edit: I don't know what rear you have, I misread the 35 reference to your tires thinking that was your rear...

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
We have been a RGA dealer for a quite some time. Really impressed with the quality of all their parts. If it is any help, we have done a LOT more of their USA made shafts.

Let us know if we can help. Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime!

-Jason

·
Registered
604 Posts
Both of my axles are D44.
securing new parts for my rig, want to get these ordered up. have heard revolution shafts are a safe bet, but can anyone tell me the difference between the discovery series and the US made units? both claim to be same material, same u-joints. are the discovery's not US made, what's the extra $ buying me?? will the 27spl discovery's in a D30 run 35's safely on moderate trails? sorry if this is a redundant subject, but my searches didn't turn up much. and the 300$ difference is a few new shocks
sorry, was referring to @daveTJ04 's initial post & when I first read it I thought he was looking for RGA D30 & D35 axles along with the differences between US made & Discovery Series, other than the Discovery being made overseas I did learn that the Super 35 is also not the same material as the US made chormoly axles which are offered for the D30 front & all D44 rear. The D35 rear appears to be the one axle they don't offer in chromoly, and don't make in the US.

But I still threw them in my D35 & haven't snapped one yet after a whole 18 hours of wheeling it :D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
very good , thanx again....... im guessin if they back it for 10yrs it not junk, and at my age 10 is lifetime, so maybe i'll make sure I spend the savings on something US made. that 300$ diff is an arb pump or tranny cooler or shocks
It's not just a 10 year warranty vs. lifetime, the USA made version uses the 1350 JK U-joint. I have them and they are beefy as hell. Still a D30, but the shafts are awesome. I would post pictures but photobucket is holding everything hostage. Once I figure out a new image host I can post up pics.

With the 1350 version you will have to shave your three unit bearing bolts a little to make room for the u joint. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok yes u are correct, the joint is different. thought I saw that discovery kit with larger knuckles n joints somewhere, and it was listed as such (coulda meant/been that its better than stock is all), ive looked at so much stuff lately its jumbling up in my melon, and yes ive seen pic of side by side of US next to stockies, can easily see the difference. .........but I am on a budget and will never see the terrain u guys run, so I may try the disco's, REVO will get plenty more my $ for gears and bearings and rear axles (rears will def be US lifetime), once I decide.......u familiar with SFF Customs in Parker, hosejockey61?? had rear 44 lined up and got sold day b4 I was going to look, see SFF builds 8.8's, look reasonably priced

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
u familiar with SFF Customs in Parker, hosejockey61?? had rear 44 lined up and got sold day b4 I was going to look, see SFF builds 8.8's, look reasonably priced
I live less than 10 minutes from him. Had him do my first gear install before I learned how to do it.

Dana 44's are hard to come by. I find them a couple of times a year. I sell them and do gear installs as well as suspension installs. I'm fresh out of them at the moment though.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
square guy? shoot me straight? ..............might go that route if no 44's turn up in next month or so, really wanna keep it all jeep so draggin my feet for that 44, knowing full well its a lessor assembly, but its a jeep product

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
square guy? shoot me straight? ..............might go that route if no 44's turn up in next month or so, really wanna keep it all jeep so draggin my feet for that 44, knowing full well its a lessor assembly, but its a jeep product
Josh is legit. He is a big ol' country boy. When I brought my first rubi axle to him he lifted it out of my expedition and carried it 60 feet into the shop by himself lol.

Understand that if you do a re-gear with him, it's a BASIC re-gear unless stated otherwise. Basic meaning that he will change the ring and pinion but not the bearings. I know he has mixed reviews, but everything I have seen or heard has been positive.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
well u guys and your peer pressure..........bought my Revolution shafts today......... **US** made 27spl kit for my D30
Those will work well, I did the same thing to my previous TJ's D30 with Warn's 27 spline shafts that they no longer sell. They held up perfectly to some hard wheeling locked f/r with 35's that broke the OE D30 shaft.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Those will work well, I did the same thing to my previous TJ's D30 with Warn's 27 spline shafts that they no longer sell. They held up perfectly to some hard wheeling locked f/r with 35's that broke the OE D30 shaft.
Jerry, is the difference between a 27 spline and 30 spline just 3 more splines or are the 30 spline shafts larger in diameter as well? Do all incremental increases in spline count correspond to an increase in diameter? Thank you

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Yes the 30 spline shafts have a larger diameter than 27 splne shafts do so there is a corresponding increase in strength.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here is a picture of the 27 vs 30 splines:

The shaft diameter beyond the splines is larger as well. You would need new inner shaft seals to install 30 spline shafts.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here is a picture of the 27 vs 30 splines:

The shaft diameter beyond the splines is larger as well. You would need new inner shaft seals to install 30 spline shafts.

Wow, thanks for the image. I've been wondering about this for a while & for whatever reason RGA doesn't put the diameter measurements in with their description & specs - that thing looks a decent bit bigger/stronger. Any idea what the actual measurement diameter of these two axles are?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yah the 30spl woulda cost me total rebuild right now including locker, cause I wont be going in that diff more than once, the 27 should give me strength increase due to materials rather than diameter and allows me to obtain rest parts as im able to afford them. and hopefully limit it to a single entry for gears. bearings and locker

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
yah the 30spl woulda cost me total rebuild right now including locker, cause I wont be going in that diff more than once, the 27 should give me strength increase due to materials rather than diameter and allows me to obtain rest parts as im able to afford them. and hopefully limit it to a single entry for gears. bearings and locker
You'll love your new 27 spline allow shafts, you'll will likely never feel tempted to want to go with the Super 30 kit.

The Dana 30 axle housing, ball joints, knuckles, etc. are only up to so much which is a good match for alloy 27 spline axle shafts. My previous TJ's 27 spline alloy front axle shafts from Warn never gave me a bit of trouble with 35's, front locker, and some pretty darned tough rock crawling trails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts