Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

RHD Front Shackle Replacement Problems

821 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Luckymac 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of replacing my springs and shackles, and I've hit a snag on the RHD drivers side front. The power steering box protrudes over the frame mount for the shackle, making it seemingly impossible to fit a poly-bush.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Motor vehicle

The bushings I removed were OEM rubber ones, and pretty much crumbled as I pulled them out so were not an issue.

This appears to be a RHD specific fitment issue, as from just a cursor read of the FSM and various internet sources, I got no hits for this issue. I wanted to reach out to any other RHD owners and ask what they did? I'm loathe to remove the steering box as it's a lump of rust and I think I might snap some bolts doing so.

I'm thinking I may just have to fit rubber bushes here as they should deform enough squeeze in, but I wanted to see if another owner had hit this issue and had some wisdom to share :) Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure I understand your issue. Is there a difference in shape between the poly bushings and the rubber bushings?
Can you jack the Jeep up by the frame with the front shackles on both sides disconnected so that the front spring eyes hang below the steering box? Would that give you the clearance to install the poly bushings?

Let us know what works for you.

Good Luck, L.M.

#3 ·
L.M I think OP is having a Main Eye, Not shackle shackle end issue. His Welds are Further Back than My LHD, so possible previous mod creating issue.

jwrayth, Just spitballing an idea, Depending on how much room you have.You could possibly cut the insert piece in half, slide the inside half, then the outer half., ending up with a three piece bushing rather than two, but you wouldn't have to pull the steering box. Not Ideal, but a workaround. I'm sure replacement steering boxes are tough to come by over there so I understand you not wanting to mess with it.

#4 ·
If you can crack the steering box loose it should be able to tilt a bit hypothetically allowing space to insert the bushing (Don't take all the bolts out)
Get in there with a wire wheel and clean up the rust and get some penetrating fluid where ever you can prior to attempting it.

#5 ·
I'm pretty certain he's asking about the shackle bolt bushings. It looks like there is a closer tolerance between the steering box and the frame mounted shackle bracket on the RHD drive Wranglers than the clearance on the LHD Wranglers.
Perhaps lubing the poly bushings with dish soap and forcing them (at least the inner bushing) into place into place by prying them in with a long screwdriver braced against the steering box or whatever might make a good pry point.
It looks like the alternatives are:
1- Use rubber bushings on the right side upper shackle
2- Loosen the steering box bolts to make a bit of room as IRQ suggests for poly bushings
3- Try lubing and prying the poly bushing into place without loosening the steering box.

Pic is my LHD tow shackles and steering box. It seems to have a bit more clearance than OPs.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.