Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i happen to be just browsing around on the jeep inventory locator last night, and for some reason the RHD models popped up. in some sense i think it's pretty cool actually to be driving a vehicle on the right hand side.

Curiosity are there any members on here that own one of these ? i seen one of two threads with a few people that have them for work purposes, but does anybody have one hooked up ? i see they don't come with any options at all and are very much a base trim. once again just curious. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't they all be mail carrier vehicles? that's a hard life on an engine and transmission.

don't know honestly.... if they're mail carrier vehicles why do they come in all the regular colors and not just in white ? i know these are available to the public as well.

i was just curious cause the whole premise of driving on the right hand side seems neat to me. not that i would get one, because you can't get any options. its just basically a work horse.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There's a jku in my area that is rhd. Mail deliverer. But it's white. I have also seen pictures of a rubicon mail jeep from Colorado or somewhere gnarly. Rain or shine right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
While looking for my jeep about a month ago, the local dealership had a blue jku rwd automatic. I thought about taking it but thinking, going through banks, drive throughs ect would be a hassle

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
While looking for my jeep about a month ago, the local dealership had a blue jku rwd automatic. I thought about taking it but thinking, going through banks, drive throughs ect would be a hassle
Gotta go through in reverse. That'd be hilarious.

I'm going to look them up to see if any are nearby. I would have just figured they were export models and might not have US emissions controls on them.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Rural mail carriers do not have to have white vehicles...but most of them do need vehicles that have 4WD. Hence the Wrangler RHD....

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotta go through in reverse. That'd be hilarious.

I'm going to look them up to see if any are nearby. I would have just figured they were export models and might not have US emissions controls on them.
i literally seen quite a few 2013 models available at numerous dealerships across the country. hell one in the orlando area had 3 or 4 on their lot and were ordering more as well. i wouldn't think any USPS branchs out in orlando would be using blue,green,dune,black and white colored jeeps. i figured they would look like the ones we have here in SOFLA.

I'm pretty sure you have people just buying them. Do the roofs and doors come off of these as well ?

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
i literally seen quite a few 2013 models available at numerous dealerships across the country. hell one in the orlando area had 3 or 4 on their lot and were ordering more as well. i wouldn't think any USPS branchs out in orlando would be using blue,green,dune,black and white colored jeeps. i figured they would look like the ones we have here in SOFLA.

I'm pretty sure you have people just buying them. Do the roofs and doors come off of these as well ?
Rural mail carriers use thier own vehicles unless a USPS vehicle is issued to that route.

Yes, the top and doors come off.

There is at least one poster on this site who has an RHD JK and is a rural mail carrier. Someone at the end of my block used to be a rural mail carrier, he delivered in his red Liberty.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
decades ago I drove USPS rt hand mail jeeps for a couple years.

The novelty becomes a PIA in short order, especially if you're not stuffing mail boxes all day.

Also got LOTS of time in the RHD larger vans lsized like the UPS/FedEx stuff.

Good for a laugh or 2. Not much to recommend them for regular civilian use IMHO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a mail carrier and have an 08 X 2dr I bought new. Just flipped 81k and I am so ready for it to be gone and get a new one but I wrecked the Cherokee I had so I'll be keeping it til first of the year... Yes we have to pay outta pocket for these Jeeps. No we don't have to have white cause they're our personal vehicles. I have driven a couple 12-13 models and the difference is incredible. I can't wait for mine to get traded so I can actually have a jeep with some power again since my Cherokee is gone now...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
lol, missed this thread originally...

Not a mail carrier, and never was, but I have two RHD jeeps.

around 2003 or so, I saw a jeep listed in the paper for $400. Drove down to look at it, expecting a wreck, and was surprised to find a 1971 postal being sold by a rural carrier in fairly decent shape. Bought it on the spot without bothering to haggle, drove it home, and now that is my "jeep thing". Bought the wife a minivan in NOV 2009, took her truck as mine, and promptly traded it for a brand new RHD sport :thumb:

intended to sell the old one, but I couldn't even bring myself to put a sign on it, so I wheel two right handers now.

it's effectively a normal base model. over 90% of the normal JK parts are compatible. I do go through drive thrus in reverse gear, going with traffic flow :) people either love it, or don't get it at all.

The old one is right in the middle of having Holbrook longleaf "3 inch lift" springs put on (in truth, they are closer to 6 or 7", and that's with converting the rear to SUA instead of SOA). Pretty much just need to get it to a good welding shop to get it stitched up, and it'll be on the road :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
i am a highway contractor (contracted mail carrier) kinda like rural but they get better benefits and stuff

anyway i bought a RHD xj from another rural carrier i used to work for it was pretty awesome but 2 weeks ago i swerved to avoid an animal and the xj bit it into a tree, so now i just purchased an 06 tj from a local dealer it was a trade in from another mail carrier i assume. i love driving rhd ive had ppl take my pictures when i drove it daily, it was weird to look over and see an iphone pointed at you, i also had some bikers ask me if i was from england LOL! drive thrus kinda suck but jeeps arent very wide so its easy to lean and i go thru atms backwards in the wee hours of the morning haha the xj was on its 2nd transmission which had been new then someone effed it up then it was rebuilt the stop and go it rough on them not so much the engine but the transmission from the constant gear changing BUT so long as you have it serviced id say at a minimum of twice a year i dont see why it would be too terrible, also i get about 9mpg both of my jeeps were/are the 4.0 I6 as well

sorry for running on lol but yea feel free to ask me any questions

also in the RHD jeeps your mini manual says RHD Postal Jeep on it lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts