Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a bare steel Poison Spyder bumper. I'm torn between powder coating it and rhino lining. What have all of you done with your bumpers and armor, and what would you suggest?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have rhino lined one bumper in the past. It looked good and held up. I paid to have it done and it was around $200 but they did a good job. I sold it but still see it running around and still looks good. If you rhino line make sure any bolt holes or threaded holes have something to keep the rhino lining out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am curious how well a shop will do with the bolt holes. I'm going to start contacting a few.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am curious how well a shop will do with the bolt holes. I'm going to start contacting a few.
I knew this going in so I did my own and told them why I wanted them covered. they did a good job.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I had my current bumper powdercoated, even with a bit of texture/matte/crinkle finish. I honestly think that PS one would look really good done that way with a gloss finish.

All that said, it's all personal preference. I think cost would be about the same. I had my front bumper and sliders done for about $350.

Sorry only decent shot I have at work.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had my current bumper powdercoated, even with a bit of texture/matte/crinkle finish. I honestly think that PS one would look really good done that way with a gloss finish.

All that said, it's all personal preference. I think cost would be about the same. I had my front bumper and sliders done for about $350.

Sorry only decent shot I have at work.
Looks pretty good. I'm torn between powder coating and rhino lining because I will most likely do some scraping. I'm wondering which will be easier to touch up myself.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have had a lot of powder coated bumpers and sliders and for me the one time I had rhino lined bumper it held up in the rocks better than the powder coat and I just used truck bed liner in a spray can to touch up. both are probably equally easy to touch up if the pc is textured.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Looks pretty good. I'm torn between powder coating and rhino lining because I will most likely do some scraping. I'm wondering which will be easier to touch up myself.
IDK, I have some matte touch up paint that I used on my previous setups (Smitty and Ace engineering, both powdercoated) and it was almost hard to tell it was there.

I've also used spray liner in spots to touch up and it was a pretty close match to the bumpers.

I think it is just a pick your poison kind of thing.

Also just remembered my kid rear ended a buddy of his a few weeks ago and you can almost not even see where he hit, just a little scuff. Did $7k in damage to the other car. I also got rear ended a few years ago. Just scuffed my rear powdercoated bumper and totalled his vehicle.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I Rhino'ed a BuckStop bumper on my DMax some years back. It held up VERY well for 5 years for me, sold truck to my landscaper so I still see it. Looks good still and he beats the hell out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts