Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just made myself some side steps and was wondering what is the best type of paint to put on there that is cheap and kinda like the rhino lining stuff?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Rustoleum bedliner. You can buy it in a spray can at Home Depot or Lowe's and it works great. Easy to spray on. Just make sure you take time to do the appropriate prep work so it will adhere properly. We used it on our fender flares and it looks fantastic. We'll be using it on our hardtop, as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would look into powdercoating. Bet you could probably get the pair coated for around $100. That will last the longest...bedliner is good too...but powdercoated because it is electrostatically charged and then baked on will yield the best adhesion...

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm looking into getting a set of N-Fab bars, but they only come in gloss black. I may sandblast them, and either powdercoat or Rustoleum Bedline them. I want them textured, like my bumpers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Beau - if they are already powdercoated, you could scuff that coating and then bedline...powdercoat makes a good primer!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yea dont waste a good base coat, that powder coat is on there good. scuff it up with 320 grit paper, wash it off really well, then bedline to your hearts content. careful its addictive. and Rustoleum bedliner is the best for outside the Jeep. The Duplicolor stuff fades pretty quick.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jason366433 said:
Hey I just made myself some side steps and was wondering what is the best type of paint to put on there that is cheap and kinda like the rhino lining stuff?
Rustoleum truck bed liner in the rattle can. It's like 10 for a can. Do a few coats and they'll look awesome.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jason366433 said:
Rustoleom truck bed liner in the rattle can. Spray a few coats on and they'll look awesome

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Coffindaffer said:
Rustoleom truck bed liner in the rattle can. Spray a few coats on and they'll look awesome
Hey thanks man I'm inns try that out. My cousin actually mentioned that same thing to me this past weekend

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking into doing this for the trim pieces, door hinges, door handles, and the hinges for the windshield as well.

I do have a concern though, being that it is November the weather is cold, will this effect the finish product compared to doing it in the summer?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Rustoleum can says use above 50F. I wouldnt do it if its in the low 50s tho. stuff just doesnt dry right. it freezes instead of drying, unless you can get it in direct sunlight then its a maybe...
^^^THIS^^^
I used the stuff on a set of bumpers in cold weather. A few months later it was coming off in great big chunks. Sanded / repainted in warmer weather, and the stuff was then awesome.:thumb:
Also, since it's a rattle-can job, touch-ups are cheap & quick! (assuming you plan to use your sliders for sliding)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and did the passenger side flares and step. The weather here is in the low 50's as of 11:30 at night, strange for being in December!

Anyways I really think the fenders has turned out great. Cheap, and easy but for me time consuming taping up to try avoid overspray.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am just now getting around to posting the before and after pics, the fenders look great! I did the door handles as well and will be doing the bumpers, door hinges, windshield hinges and possibly the grill, just to get the yellow to pop a little more.

I did get a little over spray on the yellow, would any of you have suggestion on how to clean it up without damaging the yellow paint?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Car Wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Land vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts