Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my 00 TJ needs some a protective coating in the inside (I removed the carpet) and the professional place wanted $800 if I removed my top, console, seats, etc $1200 if they did I'm thinking of doing it myself, if you have done it and have some reviews of the best brands and pictures would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yeah, do it yourself with a roll... I haven't done it, but I know there is some real good products out there for a lot less than what they are wanting to charge.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think I paid about $80 for a gallon of rhinoliner and kit. The hardest thing (at least for me) was just getting everything unbolted and out of the interior. Other than that it was easy. Need a good 2-3 days but very worth the time.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
U-Pol Raptor liner is awesome. A buddy did mine for me, 1 day to prep, spray one coat, next day second coat, put it back together, drove it home. Let it sit mostly for a day or two and done.... Love it. :)

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I Herculined my tub. about a day to pull every thing out: carpet, seats, seat belts, mounting hardware. Another day of prep, sanding and taping, and then 2 days to paint, one for each coat, and a day to put every thing back in. This was all done after work in the evening.

I like it. it just holds a lot of dust and dirt. but you can clean it with a hose...

·
Registered
326 Posts
That was the first major project I did on mine. I used Monstaliner and am very happy with it. It's been about six months and although it's a little dirty at the moment, it hasn't chipped or faded or anything. It's very easy to clean.

Definitely give yourself 2-3 days. It's a very tedious project. Also, if you are interested in putting in a Tuffy center console, this would be a good time because that in itself is tedious and having everything out will make it easier.

I would highly suggest doing it yourself if you have the time. It isn't a hard project by any means, and you can use the money you save on some other mod. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
WOW thats crazy high priced . Where I live the Rhino lining is $425. with them removing everything. I would roll or spray my own before I would pay $800. Good luck

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beer30 said:
That was the first major project I did on mine. I used Monstaliner and am very happy with it. It's been about six months and although it's a little dirty at the moment, it hasn't chipped or faded or anything. It's very easy to clean.

Definitely give yourself 2-3 days. It's a very tedious project. Also, if you are interested in putting in a Tuffy center console, this would be a good time because that in itself is tedious and having everything out will make it easier.

I would highly suggest doing it yourself if you have the time. It isn't a hard project by any means, and you can use the money you save on some other mod. :D
Did you do it to your tailgate as well?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
U-Pol Raptor liner is awesome. A buddy did mine for me, 1 day to prep, spray one coat, next day second coat, put it back together, drove it home. Let it sit mostly for a day or two and done.... Love it. :)
IG, I see you did the bedrails as well. Do you run a soft top or hard top, and does the lining have an effect on how it seals (if it's the hard top)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Beer,

Is there a noticeable smell to the product still? Did the smell last long?
There isn't anymore (unless I've just gotten so used to it that I don't notice). I would say it went away completely after about three months, give or take a little. I didn't really pay attention to when exactly I stopped noticing it though. The smell never really bothered me, although I did the project in May and frequently have the top/doors off in the summer.

jkaufman_95 said:
Did you do it to your tailgate as well?
On the inside, yes.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
IG, I see you did the bedrails as well. Do you run a soft top or hard top, and does the lining have an effect on how it seals (if it's the hard top)
I run a soft top only, and my kids climb over the sides to get in/out... those rails were pretty scuffed up from muddy shoes... I don't imagine it would cause a problem with the hard top sealing, it doesn't have a very rough texture at all, and the weather stripping on the hard tops is very flexible to accommodate inconsistancies in the mounting surface.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used duplicolor from advanced its pretty good just make sure you scuff the tube very good.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I run a soft top only, and my kids climb over the sides to get in/out... those rails were pretty scuffed up from muddy shoes... I don't imagine it would cause a problem with the hard top sealing, it doesn't have a very rough texture at all, and the weather stripping on the hard tops is very flexible to accommodate inconsistancies in the mounting surface.
Thanks a bunch IG! I'm planning on getting a hard top for mine, and I REEEAAALLLY like the way that looks, with the bedrails coated.

REALLY.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I Herculined my tub. about a day to pull every thing out: carpet, seats, seat belts, mounting hardware. Another day of prep, sanding and taping, and then 2 days to paint, one for each coat, and a day to put every thing back in. This was all done after work in the evening.

I like it. it just holds a lot of dust and dirt. but you can clean it with a hose...
I too used the Herculiner that I picked up from AutoZone +/- $120 for the kit. If you do this you might want to pick up an extra paint brush, trying to clean the original is a pain.
The overall job is pretty easy, a bit time consuming. You might want to wait for a long weekend if its your everyday driver.
The prep work is key...

It's nice to come back from the desert and just hose down the jeep inside and out, and let dry.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright so used a herculiner from autozone and after around 15 hours (ran into some issues removing the seats) it's out back drying right now looks good though!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts