Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been eyeing the backbone rack for a while due to the fact it is low profile and can be easily taken off. I'd love a Gobi rack, but I wouldn't fit into my garage with one.

I'd like to know of any experiences with it whether it be with the Pioneer platform or the cross bars.

I currently have a cargo box and some kayaks to carry, with maybe a rooftop tent later on. I'm still debating whether to order it with the crossbars or with the platform.

·
Registered
69 Posts
WhoDoesThat,

Maximus-3 has teamed up with Rhino Rack to bring an ultra low profile platform to the market. Our system add less than 3 inches to overall height (5" if you go with a rail kit) It's and beast-mode strong. Plus the optional ladders are highly functional and stylish.

You can check it out at: https://maximus-3.com/roof-rack

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have it on my JKU. I have the 3 crossbar system, but rarely even install the center bar. I regularly carry a 18' kayak or a 21' surfski on yakima sweet rolls with no problems.

I like the system. With the quick releases, I can have the bars off in a couple of minutes and just leave the mounting pads, which don't cause any wind noise or gas mileage hit at all as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Although I don't have a garage to worry about the headspace for carry racks, after considerable study of options, in my own needs I settled on Bantam trailer for all around service needs. I live rurally and have a wide range of stuff needing transport that a roof rack simply won't accommodate. Nor will the rear-bumper tote rack otherwise a decent solution to some of my needs.

Given there are some down-side to the 'small trailer' solution (as with any choice I've ever seen) the 'ammo trailer' size is convenient and hauls the most load in the smallest package on the market.

In effect the payload is about like a small pick up without the need for another motorized unit/set of wheels. Even with the 4' tongue I installed, total overall length will fit pretty close to the length of the usual curb side parking spot, especially if there's an end-zone. I have backed it in plenty of times, to the stop-bar and had the front of the Jeep not stick out as much as the full size pick up next to it, nor the large sedans.

Perhaps not as nimble in town/urban settings as the roof top carrier, the Bantam trailer does offer considerable flexibility along with demanding a higher level of parking skills.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WhoDoesThat,

Maximus-3 has teamed up with Rhino Rack to bring an ultra low profile platform to the market. Our system add less than 3 inches to overall height (5" if you go with a rail kit) It's and beast-mode strong. Plus the optional ladders are highly functional and stylish.

You can check it out at: https://maximus-3.com/roof-rack
I've spent some time looking at that rack as well. That was my second choice if I didn't go with the backbone.

I have it on my JKU. I have the 3 crossbar system, but rarely even install the center bar. I regularly carry a 18' kayak or a 21' surfski on yakima sweet rolls with no problems.

I like the system. With the quick releases, I can have the bars off in a couple of minutes and just leave the mounting pads, which don't cause any wind noise or gas mileage hit at all as far as I can tell.
I was considering the 3-bar system even though Ill most likely only need two as well. But I feel like having the third there would help when I do have to carry a heavy load. Do the bars have built in locks?

Although I don't have a garage to worry about the headspace for carry racks, after considerable study of options, in my own needs I settled on Bantam trailer for all around service needs. I live rurally and have a wide range of stuff needing transport that a roof rack simply won't accommodate. Nor will the rear-bumper tote rack otherwise a decent solution to some of my needs.

Given there are some down-side to the 'small trailer' solution (as with any choice I've ever seen) the 'ammo trailer' size is convenient and hauls the most load in the smallest package on the market.

In effect the payload is about like a small pick up without the need for another motorized unit/set of wheels. Even with the 4' tongue I installed, total overall length will fit pretty close to the length of the usual curb side parking spot, especially if there's an end-zone. I have backed it in plenty of times, to the stop-bar and had the front of the Jeep not stick out as much as the full size pick up next to it, nor the large sedans.

Perhaps not as nimble in town/urban settings as the roof top carrier, the Bantam trailer does offer considerable flexibility along with demanding a higher level of parking skills.
I'd love a trailer, but unfortunately I don't have a spot to park it....unless one of my friends would let me park it at their place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone have any further experiences to share? I'm currently looking at the Garvin Adventure Rack but wanted to see if my ski and kayak racks made by Yakima would fit directly on those crossbars or if I should look into another option. For the cost of the rack, I wouldn't want to add any additional costs to add bars or adapters.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Look at the Teraflex setup too. I settled on that over the rhino rack. Mostly because it was significantly cheaper. Really liked the rhino rack setup. I only ordered two of the slats, so only have about $700 in it. Very low profile and I fit in my 7' garage easily, even with my lift . Actually I can fit in my shop with an 8' door with my RTT mounted. Rated for 800 lbs static I believe.

They say you can direct mount any Yakima or Thule accessory. I haven't tried my bike racks, as I have a Yakima hitch mount carrier too.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Look at the Teraflex setup too. I settled on that over the rhino rack. Mostly because it was significantly cheaper. Really liked the rhino rack setup. I only ordered two of the slats, so only have about $700 in it. Very low profile and I fit in my 7' garage easily, even with my lift . Actually I can fit in my shop with an 8' door with my RTT mounted. Rated for 800 lbs static I believe.

They say you can direct mount any Yakima or Thule accessory. I haven't tried my bike racks, as I have a Yakima hitch mount carrier too.
I had the Teraflex Nebo on my '16 and loved it. Debating going with it again, or going with the Rhino setup. The Nebo does offer a lot of bang for the buck with the static load (800lbs.) and overall cost. I didn't do any slats as I used it only for my RTT which was oriented to open to the back, so I was only in for $550ish.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here are a couple more views of the Nebo rack. I love this rack as there is no noise, decrease of MPG is undetectable and it looks good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It came down to the Rhino Rack and Teraflex Nebo for me. I went the Rhino Rack route as it was a better fit for my needs. It's versatile enough to serve as a photography platform, securely store my typical recovery gear, haul ply wood, and perhaps a future RTT.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the Teraflex Nebo on my '16 and loved it. Debating going with it again, or going with the Rhino setup. The Nebo does offer a lot of bang for the buck with the static load (800lbs.) and overall cost. I didn't do any slats as I used it only for my RTT which was oriented to open to the back, so I was only in for $550ish.

I am considering a similar setup for my JK. (Teraflex Nebo + RTT). Did you have any issues with the RTT mounted without crossbars or platform?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I am considering a similar setup for my JK. (Teraflex Nebo + RTT). Did you have any issues with the RTT mounted without crossbars or platform?
I don't think there are any issues that way. I think there are pics out there that show it. I did mine on the slats as I didn't want the hardware showing. I actually had to fab up some spacers and brackets though as the NEBO crossbars are wider than the mounting plates for my tent (CVT McKinley)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Rhino BB Here

FWIW, I looked at a LOT of set ups. Ultimately, went with the backbone system with cross bars and no platform. I've been very impressed with the quality and performance. It holds our RTT quite well in all conditions and terrain on/off road, is worth every penny and I would do it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
FWIW, I looked at a LOT of set ups. Ultimately, went with the backbone system with cross bars and no platform. I've been very impressed with the quality and performance. It holds our RTT quite well in all conditions and terrain on/off road, is worth every penny and I would do it again.

Thank you, exactly what I needed to know.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I wish there was a variety that could also be used with a soft top. I know the reason, but I'd like be able to throw the kayak up top during the summer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts

So the crossbar on the rear mounts through the hardtop and into the backbone. Do the first and second crossbars also mount through the hardtop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
809 Posts
So the crossbar on the rear mounts through the hardtop and into the backbone. Do the first and second crossbars also mount through the hardtop?

Yes, all three are mounted with assorted holes drilled through the back section of the hard top.

Here is the manual if you want to look at the instructions: http://vpm.cdn.rhinorack.com.au/Instructions/Parts/FittingApplications/RJKB1.pdf

I had to buy a metric step drill bit online, as nobody around me sold them in metric. Only the first hole hurts. Just measure twice, drill once. You don't really want to screw that up, but probably nothing you could fix when it comes down to it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts