Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first post here but definitely not my first issue with the 05 TJ sport. Lately I have been going through and basically replacing everything as I'm coming up to the 100,000 mile mark. Lately I'm having trouble pinpointing a rhythmic clunking while braking and coming to stop, it usually starts at the 15 mph mark as I'm slowing to a light or a stop sign. I say rhythmic because it almost seems rotational as the wheels turn. I also feel that the sound is more noticeable as I've been driving a little while or as things heat up. I don't feel this is a balljoint issue of any kind because within the last month I've changed every joint from tie rods,ball joints, and track bars. I have also replaced all bushings and control arms front to back. I'm not ruling out a brake issue or a driveline issue. However I have just had the rear end rebuilt and installed a new sye and cv driveshaft. This has been an ongoing issue that I cannot pinpoint for life of me! Please help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the calipers and they seem solid I haven't checked the rear brakes though which will be next. The transfer case is also solid I recently changed out the linkage when I did tcase drop. Still a mystery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Front or rear, could be a rear drum that is warped. Could have been damaged from removal during rear end overhaul. Use the e-brake when slowing down and see if the ass end shakes when applied. Might get lucky and remove them, could have some rust in between drum face and axle, grind down clean and re-install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front or rear, could be a rear drum that is warped. Could have been damaged from removal during rear end overhaul. Use the e-brake when slowing down and see if the ass end shakes when applied. Might get lucky and remove them, could have some rust in between drum face and axle, grind down clean and re-install.
I will definitely give this a try thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely give this a try thank you.
So I tried the trick with the ebrake and I didn't notice anything, so at this point I'm ruling brakes out. I also tried braking with it in 4wd and I'm in still getting the clunk while braking under 15mph. I don't feel anything in the pedal but I can hear it somewhere under the driver seat to somewhere near the back seat I think. I tried to move the front drive shaft and it didn't have any play. I'm going to check the linkage again but I'm at a loss. It sounds rotational or something trying to catch. Just not sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it only does it when braking, it's in the brakes, sounds like it's in the rears. If it makes the noise when not braking and coasting slow, it's something else. Pretty easy to diagnose with another person, with the top down they can sit in back seat area and listen to each rear wheel when noise happens.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I had a similar issue! I drained all my brake fluid as part of the maintenance after buying a new vehicle and some nasty crap came out of the brake line. After the flush and refill with fresh fluid I had no more noise.

Have you done a brake fluid flush recently?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We're you ever able to figure out the issue? I'm having the same issue with my wife's 2014 JKU Sahara. I replaced all pads and rotors and also the metal brake clips, but it's still making the noise.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
86,884 Posts
We're you ever able to figure out the issue? I'm having the same issue with my wife's 2014 JKU Sahara. I replaced all pads and rotors and also the metal brake clips, but it's still making the noise.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: VodiejkuVenom
1 - 15 of 15 Posts