Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 Commando Green Sport JKU after wanting a Jeep for many years. I went through a bad divorce and lost everything, so being able to get my Jeep signified the beginning of my rebuilding process. I'm trying to do this all on a extremely limited budget, while still making sure I get the dependability and keeping the daily driveability of the Jeep.

I wanted the tow package for the 3.73 gears and to make sure if I ever wanted to tow a small camper-trailer, I would have the ability to do so. I opted for the manual transmission. I couldn't afford the Rubi, and the Sahara just seemed like a glamorized version of the Sport, so I stuck with the Sport trim. This is what she looked like when I brought her home that first day...

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right away I added a few cosmetic items. The Rugged Ridge hood protector looked good and would save the front end from getting chipped up from rocks while on the trail. The Spiderwebshade in Florida is almost a necessary item. Going topless in the summer would fry you in minutes. The shade gives you a lot of relief.
I got tired of always popping the freedom panels off, so I decided to grab the Trektop soft top. I liked the fastback styling. I got a good price on the standard Trektop (not the NX), and I actually like the roll back feature. Although it doesn't fit as tight as the NX, it still works out perfect for what I wanted.
I also added some RR hood locks (not pictured).

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up running into a concrete pillar and denting up my stock bumper, so I figured it was time to go aftermarket. I picked up the Barricade front bumper. Really liked the price, the fact I could use the stock fog lamps, and the ready-to-go winch mount and light tabs. For the price, you cannot beat this bumper. It's heavy-duty and looks great. Bolted up without any issues.
I added a mesh grille insert and a black "Jeep" emblem to kind of compliment my black/green motif. A lot of people may think the mesh insert is purely cosmetic, but with the bugs we have in Florida that I was constantly washing off my radiator, it is also a very functional item.
I liked how the taillight guards looked on other Jeeps, so I bought these. Now, I don't know how much protection they actually afford, but it's worth a try, right?

Attachments

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Looks good! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Here's to new beginnings! Looking good. Love that color. The Sport is a very capable rig, especially with the 3.73's. Plenty of cheap mods to keep you busy too. Good luck!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally, now that I started doing some regular wheeling, I decided (after nearly getting stuck out on my own a couple times) that I needed a way to self-recover. I found a good deal on this Smitty Comp XRC 9500 winch. I wanted to stick with the synthetic rope due to safety and durability concerns. The Smitty (although I have heard a lot of negative things about Smitty stuff) seems very well built and looks great.
My next mods are gonna be the big ones: I plan on grabbing a set of Pro Comp flat black wheels (still deciding on the style) and 33's. Also going with a leveling kit. Don't want to have to regear by heading up to 35's, and want to keep MPG's close to stock. Might also trim the fenders a bit once those get installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
How did you get that fastback style look? Did you modify your roll bars or buy it like it is? I'm looking to do this to mine but not sure if i have to by a whole new roll cage or just the back roll bars?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did you get that fastback style look? Did you modify your roll bars or buy it like it is? I'm looking to do this to mine but not sure if i have to by a whole new roll cage or just the back roll bars?
the Unlimited has a slanted rear roll bar stock. The Trektop just follows the contour. The 2 door's rollbars are more perpendicular to the body.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,015 Posts
Your rig looks great, Rich! I love all the little touches and the bumper really sets off the front end!

Like Rich said, the Bestop Trektops follow the bars of the sport cage and on the 4 doors they're at more of an angle than on the 2 doors. Let me know if you have any other questions about those tops or anything else!

-Ryan

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,015 Posts
Thanks Ryan...just for the record, I ordered a lot of this stuff off Extreme Terrain...great company and great stuff!!
I'm glad to hear it! Let me know when you're ready for your next mods and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have and get you the best possible pricing!

-Ryan

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Added some Spidertrax 1.5" spacers. I have to hold off on wheels and tires for a bit, and when I get ready to finally bite the bullet, I want to keep my stock wheels and just throw some 33's on them. The Spidertrax will allow me to do that without rubbing, and I can use the money I save on wheels for a 2.5" OME lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The spacers gave the stock wheels and tires a bit more of an aggressive look over the "tucked under the fenders" look of the standard setup. I am very happy with it. It may also just be me, but the jeep seems to ride better and feels a lot more sure footed even on pavement.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Spacers help alot! I was very pleased how well my looked and handled with my stock wheel/tire setup.

Given you have the he 3.73s, do NOT be afraid of 35s. You will not need a regear. I have 35s with the OME HD lift and it has plenty of power. You will be just fine with 35s. You will regret 33s .

1 - 20 of 67 Posts